BABY BEARDED DRAGON HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I recently decided to purchase a baby beardie, after a tremendous amount of research and thought. I've owned all kinds of different pets before, but never a reptile. I am worried because my new baby is acting a bit lethargic, and doesn't really like to be held. (He is about 2 months old) He also refuses to drink from the water bowl, or eat from a food bowl. I have to hand-feed him everything, and even hand-feed him water to get him to drink! All he seems to do all day is sit on the stick.
I'm so worried because all I wanna do is give him the best life possible, but I am so stressed because I feel like I'm doing everything wrong! The humidity is also too high, and I cant seem to get it down! (It's at 60%) The temperature dial never reaches 100, (It's always barely reaching 90)and I'm using the lamp that came with the starter kit. (It's a ZooMed Desert UVB & Heat Reptile Lighting Combo) Should the lamp also not be on the mesh top?
He also barely eats anything, but yet, he poops every day!
I've read everywhere that baby beardies are known to eat copious amounts of food, but my guy seems to only eat about 2/3 crickets or worms every time I try to feed him.
PLEASE comment below and let me know your thoughts! Is the enclosure okay? The lighting? Please help! This is all so new to me, and I want my baby to be as happy and as healthy as possible!

PS: On a lighter note, does anyone know if he's common colored, or is he a morph? I think he might be a citrus tiger.
Thank You!!! :)

105825-2701584893.jpg
105825-6691431859.jpg
105825-2401808962.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there

How long have you had him now?

You can not rely on those dual thermometers. they are wildly inaccurate. Plus they can't give you the most important temperature, your basking surface temperature. For that you really should get a digital thermometer with probe end. They are very cheap nowadays but very necessary.

Nothing is more important to a dragons health than proper temperatures so you need to get that sorted first. Once you get an accurate way to measure temps we can see what yours are. From there we can make any adjustments necessary.

In the mean time I suggest you read the sticky lighting help for newbies in the enclosures section of this site. The coil uvb bulb that comes with that kit really isn't suitable for dragons. You will want to switch it out for the reptisun 10.0 tube or Arcadia tubes. Note these are long fluorescent tubes so you'll need a new fixture to house the bulb.

If your humidity is too high I'd remove the water bowl. Most dragons dont drink from them anyways.

From the picture he looks like a standard morph. Citrus really isnt a morph it's a trait, a description of a color.

-Brandon

katieeee9865

Original Poster
claudiusx":1lm8vwby said:
Hi there

You can not rely on those dual thermometers. they are wildly inaccurate. Plus they can't give you the most important temperature, your basking surface temperature. For that you really should get a digital thermometer with probe end. They are very cheap nowadays but very necessary.

Nothing is more important to a dragons health than proper temperatures so you need to get that sorted first. Once you get an accurate way to measure temps we can see what yours are. From there we can make any adjustments necessary.

In the mean time I suggest you read the sticky lighting help for newbies in the enclosures section of this site. The coil uvb bulb that comes with that kit really isn't suitable for dragons. You will want to switch it out for the reptisun 10.0 tube or Arcadia tubes. Note these are long fluorescent tubes so you'll need a new fixture to house the bulb.

If your humidity is too high I'd remove the water bowl. Most dragons dont drink from them anyways.

From the picture he looks like a standard morph. Citrus really isnt a morph it's a trait, a description of a color.

-Brandon
Hi! Thank you so so much for the reply. I got him on August 12th! I'm thinking of just getting new lighting all together, and getting the digital thermometer. Also, do you have any good suggestions on how to get him to eat his food? He seems to be very finicky.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is a tiny one & does look very cute there. :D
As suggested, I would definitely switch out the UVB light from the compact/coil type that
you have now, to a long tube bulb. The UVB emissions are a lot better & safer with the long
fluorescent tubes than the compact/coil bulbs.
He might still be adjusting to his new home. Are you feeding him in or out of his tank?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

katieeee9865

Original Poster
Drache613":2fh84hr3 said:
Hello,

He is a tiny one & does look very cute there. :D
As suggested, I would definitely switch out the UVB light from the compact/coil type that
you have now, to a long tube bulb. The UVB emissions are a lot better & safer with the long
fluorescent tubes than the compact/coil bulbs.
He might still be adjusting to his new home. Are you feeding him in or out of his tank?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Thank you :) he is a handsome little guy. So the basking light in the dome I have now is okay, right? I would just take out the UVB bulb, and purchase one of the long ones that stretches across the mesh top, or do I clip it to the inside instead? And I feed inside his tank, because he gets a bit nervous if I try feeding him elsewhere.
Thank you so much for the info, you guys are lifesavers on here!

katieeee9865

Original Poster
claudiusx":8xxy2unu said:
Hi there

-Brandon
I'm going to go to the store tomorrow to get an official digital thermometer, but I just tested his basking surface with one that you use when you're sick, and it's registering at 105! So I don't think that the lighting or temperature is a problem like I thought. Those stick-on thermometers are awful! So inaccurate. If the lighting and temps are okay, do you think it could be something else making him loose his appetite?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
NO!!!!!!!!! The coil bulb is not OK-- please change it out ASAP-- one of the causes for not eating and if you keep the coil you will have further issues down the road --- like eye issues among others as well --- you will not have a healthy dragon---- please take the others advice and get it changed out - I cannot stress this enough!!!!!!!!!! Once you get your lighting fixed and temps to where they should be like 105-110 for a baby you will see a different dragon-------------- make sure your getting those accurate temps -- stick ons stick thermometers do not work - digital probes are like $5 and I would recommend a infrared heat gun as well from Home Depot or Lowes -- they are between $10-12 --- good investment
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
katieeee9865":19ka7kze said:
but I just tested his basking surface with one that you use when you're sick, and it's registering at 105! So I don't think that the lighting or temperature is a problem like I thought.

That will be more accurate of a measurement, but still not accurate. It would be like your pharmacist weighing out your prescription dose on his bathroom scale. Yeah it might be close or in the ballpark, but you want to know the dose you're getting, not just a best guess.
Same goes with your dragons temperatures. There really is nothing more important than proper temperatures for them and you need to KNOW them so that you can make the adjustments you need.
I'm glad you're still going to get the probe end thermometer.

I've been here many years and have owned dragons for 2 decades now. We've seen thousands upon thousands of cases where dragons housed improperly end up getting sickly, and once the owner changes things to a proper setup, the dragon starts to recover. We stand to make no profit or no money by telling you that we think you should replace your lighting. We just know what works and want what's best for your dragon.
In the end it's your decision, but like I said, we wouldn't just tell you to go out and buy things if it really wasnt going to make a difference.

Temperature and lighting makes a huge difference.

Without proper temperatures your dragon wont digest properly or have other basic functions working properly such as its immune system.
When the dragon cant digest it cant absorb nutrients.
When it cant absorb nutrients it gets sickly and frail.
Now its sickly and frail and the immune system isnt even working to capacity due to the lack of nutrients and the lack of proper body temperature.

Without proper uvb (the coil you have puts off very short wavelength uvb and it dissipates very quickly the further it is from the dragon) your dragon wont absorb the calcium in its diet and can start to develop MBD. Additionally, a proper uv light also boosts the immune system and causes the body to release endorphins that make both us and dragons feel good. There are tons of benefits to proper lighting.

Sorry if I'm going on, I just want you to understand how important the suggestions we made are for your dragons health, especially when hes already exhibiting issues that are concerning you.

-Brandon

katieeee9865

Original Poster
KarrieRee":29c5yxvi said:
NO!!!!!!!!! The coil bulb is not OK-- please change it out ASAP-- one of the causes for not eating and if you keep the coil you will have further issues down the road --- like eye issues among others as well --- you will not have a healthy dragon---- please take the others advice and get it changed out - I cannot stress this enough!!!!!!!!!! Once you get your lighting fixed and temps to where they should be like 105-110 for a baby you will see a different dragon-------------- make sure your getting those accurate temps -- stick ons stick thermometers do not work - digital probes are like $5 and I would recommend a infrared heat gun as well from Home Depot or Lowes -- they are between $10-12 --- good investment
Karrie
I'm going to pick up the Reptisun 10.0 today for the UVB bulb instead of the one I have now. As far as a basking light, can I still keep the basking light I have now? As far as the thermometer goes, I can't find a cheap digital probe. They all are coming up close to $20 at Pet stores. Do you have any suggestions on wear I should get those instead?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I just picked one up from Pet Smart for $4.97 --- digital probe - try Amazon --- basking bulb is good as long as its a bright white bulb that can keep temps at 105-110 --- try a 100 watt or 150 -- it is trial and error--- make sure you have something accurate to get the temp tho -- infrared heat guns are good
Karrie

katieeee9865

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ioa6afk said:
I just picked one up from Pet Smart for $4.97 --- digital probe - try Amazon --- basking bulb is good as long as its a bright white bulb that can keep temps at 105-110 --- try a 100 watt or 150 -- it is trial and error--- make sure you have something accurate to get the temp tho -- infrared heat guns are good
Karrie
Thank you!! Do you also know of any good light timers? The one from zoomed is getting mixed reviews, so I was thinking of just trying to find one at Home Depot instead?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A mechanical outlet timer from the hardware store should do the trick. They have dual outlet (heavy duty versions have a ground plug too) so you can keep the basking and UVB light on the same timer if you wish.

katieeee9865

Original Poster
claudiusx":33y1yrmp said:
katieeee9865":33y1yrmp said:
but I just tested his basking surface with one that you use when you're sick, and it's registering at 105! So I don't think that the lighting or temperature is a problem like I thought.

That will be more accurate of a measurement, but still not accurate. It would be like your pharmacist weighing out your prescription dose on his bathroom scale. Yeah it might be close or in the ballpark, but you want to know the dose you're getting, not just a best guess.
Same goes with your dragons temperatures. There really is nothing more important than proper temperatures for them and you need to KNOW them so that you can make the adjustments you need.
I'm glad you're still going to get the probe end thermometer.

I've been here many years and have owned dragons for 2 decades now. We've seen thousands upon thousands of cases where dragons housed improperly end up getting sickly, and once the owner changes things to a proper setup, the dragon starts to recover. We stand to make no profit or no money by telling you that we think you should replace your lighting. We just know what works and want what's best for your dragon.
In the end it's your decision, but like I said, we wouldn't just tell you to go out and buy things if it really wasnt going to make a difference.

Temperature and lighting makes a huge difference.

Without proper temperatures your dragon wont digest properly or have other basic functions working properly such as its immune system.
When the dragon cant digest it cant absorb nutrients.
When it cant absorb nutrients it gets sickly and frail.
Now its sickly and frail and the immune system isnt even working to capacity due to the lack of nutrients and the lack of proper body temperature.

Without proper uvb (the coil you have puts off very short wavelength uvb and it dissipates very quickly the further it is from the dragon) your dragon wont absorb the calcium in its diet and can start to develop MBD. Additionally, a proper uv light also boosts the immune system and causes the body to release endorphins that make both us and dragons feel good. There are tons of benefits to proper lighting.

Sorry if I'm going on, I just want you to understand how important the suggestions we made are for your dragons health, especially when hes already exhibiting issues that are concerning you.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I went all over town yesterday looking for the right stuff, and I think I'm finally starting to get somewhere! I picked up the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB bulb, and put it into a fluorescent light fixture. I then picked up a digital thermometer with a probe as well. I am already starting to see a bit of an attitude change in my little one; thank you so very much. Take a look if you can at my new setup, and let me know if I can improve it in any way!

Here's the new setup!
105825-1984857368.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the UVB he can sit under it? It looks like he can-- what is the distance of that bulb from where he sits? It looks like hes awful close and what is the bulb you got ? The T 8 or the T 5? Whats in the domes now ? One basking bulb ? And what are his temps at that looks close too ---- you dont want to cook him -- basking spot should be around 105-110--- if you need to make adjustments I would adjust the shelf his sitting on -- cut it down or maybe get a different piece of decor for him to sit on
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom