[HELP ASAP] dropped a rock on my beardies tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

haydenharr

I transferred my beardie into a new cage recently (he's two months old) and I was decorating it with him in it and a rock fell on his tail i feel really guilty and I don't know what to do. it only fell a little less than half a foot so i thought he would be okay but he's just limp and wont respond to anything he's been like this for about three hours and i dont know what to do, also him having this new cage he hasn't ate much within the past couple days and i dont know if this is related to the rock thing but now his head is shedding. He has no bumps or swelling as far as i can tell, and he has started crawling up on his hammock recently so i think he might be slowly recovering, but him not eating food really worries me. is there anything i should do? the rock wasnt very big it was smaller than a tennis ball. i held him in his cage to get some kind of a reaction from him, and he started making some kind of a sick hiccuping/hissing noise. he can move his legs and grab onto my fingers when i pick him up but he doesnt move much other than that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no, poor guy! Where on his tail did the rock hit? Do you see signs of an external wound? Hopefully he was just stunned by it and will be OK. Accidents like this happen sometimes and hopefully it won't amount to anything. If he is showing a dark black beard and continues not moving much, he may have an internal injury and an x-ray might be a good idea. For now if there is no external wound, try to immobilize him a bit by keeping his basking area and food area low so he doesn't have to move much or climb. Providing a soft substrate like fleece for the time being may also be a good idea.

If you can post some photos of him, it may be helpful for determining his overall condition. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to the thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

haydenharr

Original Poster
full

pic 1

full

pic 2

full

pic 3

(im going to be referring to these as pic 1,2, and 3 if thats ok) no i dont see any signs of an external wound everything seems to be ok with how he appears, and his beard isnt black. ive put him as close to the light as possible. pic 3 shows where the rock hit his tail, at least thats where the rock landed. i took the rock off of him and picked him up as soon as it happened so he wasnt stuck under it for long at all. he just doesnt open his eyes all the way(which might be because of his head shedding) and doesnt move much, but other than that i think he appears ok. plus ive pushed his tail up and around to see if he would hold it in that position, and he did so i dont think he has too much of a hard time moving it. im assuming he will probably get better with time. i just put his hammock super close to his light. i am not sure theres any paralysis or trouble moving because i just saw him walk across his hammock.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't see obvious signs of trauma. The eye squinting is probably due to the face shed as you mentioned. That may also be contributing to a sour mood so maybe the rock was just the icing on a bad day cake. I don't see a jet black beard indicating distress. Like I said earlier just try to make everything easily accessible for now and keep an eye on him. Hopefully he was just stunned by it and is OK. If you see him have trouble walking or if his tail starts to look bruised or wounded (or if he has trouble balancing or moving it) then a vet may be in order but I'd keep watch for now.

haydenharr

Original Poster
thanks a lot for your help lol i was freaking out. He seems like hes close to his old self, now that its been quite a long time since the incident happened. ill make sure to keep an eye on him. hes actually starting to explore some of the new things i put in his cage today :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom