Gizmo isn’t eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmarquis2018

My bearded dragon has stopped eating all of a sudden and I don’t know why? Heats levels are up, humidity is down, he’s drinking water, droppings regularly and look good, not lethargic at all, moves around a lot, just not eating? Any idea?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Post pics of tank and lighting and we can go from there-------------how old is the UVB?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil UVB -- that is the issue here is what is recommended on the forum for UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- I would recommend you get this changed out ASAP----
Karrie

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello there. Sorry you're worried about Gizmo (cute name). How old is the little one? I do agree with Karrie about the lighting, it could have some affect on him since tube UVBs are the best for a growing beardie and for your tank size...But can you go over the size of the tank with us too?

My beardie is currently doing the same thing. She hasn't been eat much since the beginning of July, but that's just how she is for a year and 7 months old. And I'm sure others can weigh in with how their beardies act as well. But it seems to be a pattern with mine, that around this time of year (living in CA) that she acts this way and I've learned not to be alarmed. Sometimes their appetite just changes and they go through unnerving phases.

I'm sure little Gizmo is just fine though :)

Bmarquis2018

Original Poster
vrenee1018":3f9vb6cm said:
Hello there. Sorry you're worried about Gizmo (cute name). How old is the little one? I do agree with Karrie about the lighting, it could have some affect on him since tube UVBs are the best for a growing beardie and for your tank size...But can you go over the size of the tank with us too?

My beardie is currently doing the same thing. She hasn't been eat much since the beginning of July, but that's just how she is for a year and 7 months old. And I'm sure others can weigh in with how their beardies act as well. But it seems to be a pattern with mine, that around this time of year (living in CA) that she acts this way and I've learned not to be alarmed. Sometimes their appetite just changes and they go through unnerving phases.

I'm sure little Gizmo is just fine though :)

Thank you! And 3 months! I will change the light soon, But that’s good to hear it’s not just mine!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB controls the nutrients being digested in the stomach --- that is why they end up w / MBD if they dont have the proper lighting at this age and younger --- they need to be able to absorb the calcium -- improper UVB will cause that --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Gizmo looks very good though!
I agree, they tend to go through phases with their eating & their food preferences, too.
As suggested, changing your UVB to a long tube bulb would probably help quite a bit
for him. It's a great sign that he is active & basking right now.
Has he had a black beard at all?
What is your supplementation schedule like?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom