New Owner - Are these bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onennon

I'm a really new owner of a bearded dragon and I'd just like to know if there's anything wrong with him so I can get it checked out. I've got a few pictures of areas I'm unsure about. He's pretty old, I think 3 or 4 years. He's very energetic, he doesn't hiss or bite, and he seems alright. We're feeding him something called "Dragon Diet" and sometimes blueberries, dandelions in the spring.

His tail is stiff and darker than the rest of his body, and the scales are gray/pale but only in a few small areas. Thanks for the help.

https://imgur.com/a/FIKCDZ8

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks pretty good and not obese like many are. The spots look harmless and the kink at the tail end is well healed. Do you feed him any insects ?

Onennon

Original Poster
Sadly no, but I'm trying to get some because I understand they are important to his diet. I think he's simply shedding, but I've never taken care of a lizard and it being just in small spots worried me. Thanks for the help.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hi!

I just had to reply and tell you that the little kink at the end your dragons tale - is indentical to my girls! honestly she’s had that kink since she was a few months old - and she’s 8 and half now years old now. So I wouldn’t worry - unless it seems to cause her distress? It really is a mirror image of the tip of my girls tail!

As far as feeding - just some thoughts - the nutrients they recivev from feeders (in my opinion) are something that they will not ever receive from pre-made dragon diets. If you’re worried about the “ickiness” factor - or you are freaked out by live bugs/worms ... then there are some that are less freaky than others ...

Crickets, for example, in mind - are the most heebie jeebie things out there as far as feeders. They give me the full on creeps - and the fact they they are jumpers makes it all the worse! So there are some great alternatives that are even far superior in every arena.

If the word “roaches” freaked you out - no worries- because the Dubai roaches for dragons are not the kind of roaches you may be thinking of! Basically they are flat little bug that resembles “roly-poly” bugs ... and if any escape - so r worry about that either - unless you are living in a mega tropical environment with tropical weather in your home - they won’t breed and multiply - they won’t do anything. They are easy to keep and simple to feed.

Let’s talk worms! This is where my girls diet comes into play. Her staple is superworms ... and I feel that supers get a bad rep as far as if they are “good or bad” staples. But that’s just me - she’s done so well between a combo of supers and Dubai. Supers are “super” easy to keep.
There is also wax worms, silk worms, hornworms and more

Phoenix Worms/Rept-Worm are also great - they are little and can’t reallt climb out of smooth dishes - packed with calcium and another super easy feeder to keep.

Butterworms are very nice, they have pretty much a zero exoskeleton - so they totally soft-bodies feeders and probably the least intimidating of all feeders. They feel clean to hold, I mean - to me - there is just zero creepy factor in play. They are a bit more expensive for the amount you recieve - but at this point, even if you start giving your dragon small amounts if feeders, it’s worth it, they need that live protein, and live protein is going to make you dragon happy and healthy.

Google any of those insects and you will find places to order them online .... mulberry farms is where I do a lot of ordering ... but there are special sites dedicated just to Dubai - just to Phoenix- etc

I hope that you can start to incorporate some real food into your dragons diet - and remember - when you do - don’t just toss some feeders in the tank and depends on him finding them all. Crickets will hide and come out at night - and bite your dragon. Another main reason I stay away from them all together. Either hand feed your dragon one feeder at time, or place him in a separate bin/tank/container for feeding.

Id be happy to talk more in depth with you on entering the live feeder world, if you ever want to just message me. Your dragon will LOVE you for providing him with exactly what he needs - and his health will thank you as well. ?

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom