Droopy eyes?? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZekesMom

My beardie is about 5 months old soon to be 6. I’ve noticed his eyes seem droopy a lot, sometimes they’re not as droopy but sometimes they’re very droopy. He gets fed Dubia Roaches with calcium D3 but I’ve strayed away from dusting them with the calcium every feeding, just once out of the 2 feedings of roaches now. He also gets a fresh salad everyday of either collard greens, mustard greens, or something else if we have it. He gets the occasional berries and sometimes gets veggies too. He poops 2-3 times a day. He eats roughly 20-40 roaches a day split between 2 feedings. I also dust with Reptivite 1-2x a week. His basking spot is between 100-105 degrees Fahrenheit, his cool side is about 80-85 degrees. He also has a reptisun 10 UVB strip. He seems happy and healthy but I’m just really worried!!
Don’t they look droopy?:
103882-5854038261.jpg
Here’s how big he is (almost 12 inches. Last time I measured was less than a month ago and he was a little over 10 in but he’s grown)
103882-4144764482.jpg
103882-5678145993.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The eyes look good to me- he could be dehydrated - that would cause this - you might try bathing him 2 times per week or dropping water on his nose to see if he will lick it off------ please go back to dusting his live bugs 5 x per week - he needs the calcium as his bones are growing and you dont want him calcium deficient or develop MBD --- he will need this till hes a year old--- when his diet switches from mainly bugs to vegies ---- he will still need the bugs dusted but his bug intake will slow down
Karrie

ZekesMom

Original Poster
Thank you for replying. And I do dust his bugs with calcium at least 5x a week! I feed him roaches 2 times a DAY, I dust ONE out of two of the feedings with calcium and then I also dust his greens. And I’ve tried many times to drop water on his nose and he doesn’t even lick it. I bathe him once a week at the least and I posted about his urate being runny and you said that meant he was hydrated??

ZekesMom

Original Poster
I dust one of the two feedings a day with calcium now because bearded dragons can also get sick from too much calcium absorption which the D3 helps with. And none of the pet stores here sell calcium without D3 so I’ve just slowed the calcium intake a little but he’s still getting good amounts of calcium.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that is good --- I mis read and thought you were cutting back all together- if he does have watery stools then yes he is hydrated so if your bathing him often he should be good -- sunken eyes can often mean they are dehydrated -- wrinkley skin etc...
Karrie

ZekesMom

Original Poster
Yeah I did word it weird! Sorry about that. But his skin isn’t wrinkly really! Google said it could be vitamin A deficiency but we all know google isn’t the most accurate so I’m not really sure. Anything else you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
To me they look okay normal- someone else on here would need to look and see if they see anything different- everything else sounds good --- your giving the vitamins 2 x per week I would think that would be enough
Karrie

My dragon's eyes droop like that also, pretty sure its normal. Dragons do weird stuff with their eyes! (I've seen her roll her eyes back during a bath once as she got water in them...scared the living daylight out of me!! but its fine) I guess you should start to worry when they swell up and remain swollen that they can't see out of them, or when they droop to the point that they look like the skin around the eyelids are red and irritated.

Oh, when ur trying to get your dragon to drink and they don't want to, try and gently open their mouth as you put the water over their snout (I use the tip of my finger nail) so that a bit of water goes in, then move the water about (if in a bath) so they get the idea that they can drink it. That's what I do, and it works for me!

ZekesMom

Original Poster
Thank you both so much! I get so nervous when something doesn’t seem right, I want him to live such a good life and I’m so attached to him it’s crazy! I will keep an eye on his eyes and I’ve heard about swishing the water around so I’ll try that tomorrow! Or I thought about maybe dunking his Dubia Roaches in the water and then feeding it to him? I’ll try some things out. Thank you again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom