Is my bearded dragon brumataing (In spring), or sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Have her checked for parasites--- where did you put the UVB? can you post pics of the tank and lighting please
Karrie

CaptainHookTheDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2iybgyx1 said:
Have her checked for parasites--- where did you put the UVB? can you post pics of the tank and lighting please
Karrie

I have the UVB exactly in the middle of the tank. There's not too much going on with the tank. I usually put the log near the light since she usually climbs up on that, but I moved things around to get her out, and give her a bath to help her poop. For some reason, it hasn't worked for the past two times however :(
https://imgur.com/GIuoni4

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please mount the T 8 inside the tank--- it needs to be 8-10 inches from basking spot - if need be take the screen off -- the screen is blocking the UVB rays and the cover needs to be off the bulb as well--She needs to be able to get up under that UVB bulb -- also I would recommend upgrading your tank to a 75-120 gallon tank --- it looks to small for her-- you want a tank w/ front doors --- there are many to choose from --- also if you upgrade to a larger tank I would recommend changing substrate over to textured non adhesive shelf line or a slated ceramic tile from Home Depot Lowes etc............ both are cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar / water in spray bottle 50/50 mixed--- but for now I would work on the UVB ---- also a infrared heat gun? Did you get one to get actual basking temps? The dial on the wall tank is not accurate --- you also might want to invest in a digital probe to put on cool side of tank --- but you need to be able to get accurate basking temps w/ the heat gun-- did you take the water out of the tank?
Karrie

CaptainHookTheDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1fvuekhe said:
Please mount the T 8 inside the tank--- it needs to be 8-10 inches from basking spot - if need be take the screen off -- the screen is blocking the UVB rays and the cover needs to be off the bulb as well--She needs to be able to get up under that UVB bulb -- also I would recommend upgrading your tank to a 75-120 gallon tank --- it looks to small for her-- you want a tank w/ front doors --- there are many to choose from --- also if you upgrade to a larger tank I would recommend changing substrate over to textured non adhesive shelf line or a slated ceramic tile from Home Depot Lowes etc............ both are cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar / water in spray bottle 50/50 mixed--- but for now I would work on the UVB ---- also a infrared heat gun? Did you get one to get actual basking temps? The dial on the wall tank is not accurate --- you also might want to invest in a digital probe to put on cool side of tank --- but you need to be able to get accurate basking temps w/ the heat gun-- did you take the water out of the tank?
Karrie

Yeah I was about to get a new tank! I think this one is about 120 gallons. https://www.zenhabitats.com/collections/zen-habitats-reptile-enclosures/products/zen-habitat-w-substrate-shield

I definitely want to do tiles. I just have to figure out how to put them in and get them to fit. Also I just made a makeshit mount for the uvb. How am I supposed to actually mount this inside of the tank? And the water is in her bowl, am I supposed to take it out?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a Zen Habitat-- here is mine
97951-6618921375.jpg
97951-632654513.jpg
I have slated ceramic tile ---- here are some ideas for mounting the fixture---- command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
tiles need to be cut by a tile cutter- measure tank size and pick out tile and size and figure how many you need -- figure out what way you want to lay them before cutting - I have mine going vertical -- if the humidity is still high take it out-- what is it reading -- up to 50 is ok you dont want anything higher than 70-80 I think someone has said--
Karrie

CaptainHookTheDragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2xzoi0eg said:
I have a Zen Habitat-- here is mine
97951-6618921375.jpg
97951-632654513.jpg
I have slated ceramic tile ---- here are some ideas for mounting the fixture---- command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – plastic zip ties
tiles need to be cut by a tile cutter- measure tank size and pick out tile and size and figure how many you need -- figure out what way you want to lay them before cutting - I have mine going vertical -- if the humidity is still high take it out-- what is it reading -- up to 50 is ok you dont want anything higher than 70-80 I think someone has said--
Karrie

That enclosure looks amazing! I'm going to try to get one in a week or two! Also the humidity is usually at 50, some days like today however it rises up to 60. It has been raining a lot so I assume it will go down back to 30-40 once the weather changes.

CaptainHookTheDragon

Original Poster
A much better update!: So even though things have been starting to look up, I still decided to take her to the vet today. At first, the vet thought she had a neurological issue because when she's dropped on her side she kind of stays there for a while with her legs in the air. I told him about the UVB situation, and then he told me he thought that's what it could be, but we'll have to see.

The vet gave me cat food, and a syringe, and told me to force feed that to her with a mixture of Gatorade, and a quarter of a tums. Hopefully this is safe? I also received an antibiotic (Baytril). The receipt also says something about worming (Worming - Panacur/Flagyl) not sure what that is, but it was $50.

The slightly good news however is after today's visit she pooped for the first time on her own without a bath, and she climbed right back to her basking rock instead of hiding under, or on the log! Also yesterday she ate a good amount of roaches so hopefully things get better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cat food? Please let the health experts weigh in on that --- I have never heard of them being fed catfood-- maybe others have -- I have heard of Panacur and the others can weigh in on that as well ---and I am glad she is eating and pooping ---- why are you to force feed the cat food- if shes gonna eat on her own I would let her -- sorry about the double post of pic -- dont know what happened there
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom