10 week old beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebe08

Recently bought a baby beardie he is around 10 weeks now and has recently stopped eating (he eats a few bites of greens and like 1-4 Dubia). Prior to this he was eating small amounts (6-10 Dubia and greens) he has never had the insane appetite I’ve heard he should I assumed it was relocation stress at first but we have had him 3.5 weeks now. I believe my husbandry is ok but here it is
-40 gal tank
-basking spot is at 102-107
-cool side is 75-ish depends on the day
-subatrate is reptile carpet
-uvb is reptisun 10.0
-lights are on 13 off for 11
-warm baths twice a week as well as water in his tank and drips on his nose daily.

My son loves little ghostie and I really don’t want him to die I have given him 2 doses of repta boost as he hasn’t eaten much at all and he is so tiny 7in not sure on weight. Is there anything else I can do? I have a vet appt for him next week it’s the soonest they could get him in as it’s not an emergency since he is still alert and active.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there!

Your setup sounds fine but a few questions on it.
What are you using to measure your temps?
Is your reptisun a long tube or is it the compact coil version. The 10.0 comes in different types which is why I ask.

The fact that he is eating is a good sign! Especially eating the greens what a good boy.
So he is eating 1-4 dubia a day? and salad? That doesn't sound too bad, especially depending on the size of the dubia. Is he pooping regularly? How is he handling the reptaboost? Are you force feeding it to him or is he eating it willingly?

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What size are the roaches ?

I'd nudge up the photoperiod by 2 hours per day.

Double check the temperatures (two different thermometers to be sure).

Is the UV source perhaps a 13W compact (curly) version ? Photos of the tank and lights setup.

Bebe08

Original Poster
claudiusx":rjngopwe said:
Hi there!

Your setup sounds fine but a few questions on it.
What are you using to measure your temps?
Is your reptisun a long tube or is it the compact coil version. The 10.0 comes in different types which is why I ask.

The fact that he is eating is a good sign! Especially eating the greens what a good boy.
So he is eating 1-4 dubia a day? and salad? That doesn't sound too bad, especially depending on the size of the dubia. Is he pooping regularly? How is he handling the reptaboost? Are you force feeding it to him or is he eating it willingly?

-Brandon

We are using the tube version of the 10.0 and we have dial thermometers in his tank on both sides but I use a thermal gun to take surface temps and those are what I listed. They are the Dubia 1/4 size so very small.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Everything sounds good --- it sounds to me like he has relocation stress--- does he have some dark stripes on his body? 3.5 weeks is not a long time to adjust -- sometimes it takes longer-- just keep feeding him and putting your hand in his tank so he gets used to you--- and if you want put some sort of clothing something soft in his hide so he gets used to your smell --- he will come around --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok great. Your setup sounds fine! :)

While it might not be as much food as you hear other babies eating, the good thing is that yours is actually eating. Dragons can be compared to humans in the sense that they are all different. Some have big appetites, some dont. Some grow really fast, some grow slower.

As long as hes eating and pooingI wouldn't be worried at all. Keep offering him food and if his appetite increases, great. If it doesnt, at least he is still getting nutrients he needs to keep him healthy.

There is no mad dash to growing a dragon to full size before its first birthday. They can grow for quite awhile so dont be concerned about forcing him to eat so he can grow.
Remember food has 1 goal, and that is to provide nutrients and keep a creature healthy.

You are doing everything fine :)

-Brandon

Bebe08

Original Poster
claudiusx":26rcsr67 said:
Ok great. Your setup sounds fine! :)

While it might not be as much food as you hear other babies eating, the good thing is that yours is actually eating. Dragons can be compared to humans in the sense that they are all different. Some have big appetites, some dont. Some grow really fast, some grow slower.

As long as hes eating and pooingI wouldn't be worried at all. Keep offering him food and if his appetite increases, great. If it doesnt, at least he is still getting nutrients he needs to keep him healthy.

There is no mad dash to growing a dragon to full size before its first birthday. They can grow for quite awhile so dont be concerned about forcing him to eat so he can grow.
Remember food has 1 goal, and that is to provide nutrients and keep a creature healthy.

You are doing everything fine :)

-Brandon

Thank you. I’ve successfully raised to children you would think a tiny lizard would be easy after humans but he is proving to keep me worried ?.

jessgignac

I don't have advice. Except I'm having the same issue. Little booger doesn't have the best appetite.
Like you said, I'm raising kids and the lizard worries me more than my 5 and 3 year old ??

Bebe08

Original Poster
jessgignac":383ishki said:
I don't have advice. Except I'm having the same issue. Little booger doesn't have the best appetite.
Like you said, I'm raising kids and the lizard worries me more than my 5 and 3 year old ??

My boys are 6 and 3 years old and yup totally more worried over ghost than my kids! He still isn’t eating well took him to the vet and he has parasites so we have started medication for that so hopefully soon we see improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom