Socializing scaredy baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airikah

Hi new dragon friends!

I was gifted a dragon for Christmas, her name is Penny, and I love her. I’ve had her for almost a month and she still doesn’t love me back. She came from a PetCo, I believe, and the people at the store told my boyfriend she’s around 3 months old. I try to pick her up at least once a day, usually more like twice a day, after letting her acclimate to her new tank for almost two weeks. I hold her inside the cage and stroke her back and talk to her. She runs away from me, opens her mouth, and even “bit” me once. Eventually she gets tired and flattens herself out on my hand or arm and closes her eyes. I sometimes stick food in her mouth when she opens it at me, she either eats it or spits it out.

I can also only get her to eat crickets, and she will nibble on greens. I would ideally like her to eat kibbles and veggies with bugs as a special treat. I’m an ICU nurse and I work 12-16 hour days so I can’t feed her multiple times a day. When I do give her crickets she eats 30-40 at a time (calcium dusted of course). I tried Phoenix worms today and she wasn’t interested. She has tried collard and mustard greens, and wouldn’t even try the squash or bell peppers. I’ve tried literally 7 different varieties of prepared foods and the only one she kind of picks at is the “baby bites” juvenile bearded dragon that looks unsettlingly like ground beef.

She is in a 40 gallon tank, with 40% humidity, basking at 105-110, 75 in the cool side, walnut substrate that she doesn’t eat, and a reptisun T8 10.0 UVB, with a ceramic heater as well for nighttime warmth. She is bright eyed and active during the day and usually sleeps close to the ceramic heater on her basking stick or ledge.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Congratulations on bringing Penny into your family. Don't worry, just give her some time but I am
sure that eventually she will adjust! Do you have any pictures of her, along with her tank setup we
could see?
Have you found a favorite food of hers, or will she not willingly take any food from you yet? Have
you tried any pieces of fruit possibly she would like?
The tank setup sounds good, how close is the Reptisun 10 T8 to her & is it mounted directly over
head, alongside of the tube bulb?
Keep trying with her, don't give up. They can take some time to get used to new surroundings.
Try getting a nice, soft fleece blankie & wrapping her up like a burrito to have her sleep on you.
It can help with bonding.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom