Beardie head bobbing/shaking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately my beardie has been shaking or bobbing her head, I read up about it and it said it had to do with low calcium. I've been giving her more calcium, but her head shaking has stayed the same. Now her head is shaking more aggressively and I'm getting even more worried about her health. As this is my first time getting a bearded dragon, I'm still looking for good vets. I'm asking for suggestions on what do to in regards to this problem as I'm beginning to grow desperate.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What do you have in place for UVB lighting? Proper heat and UVB exposure are as critical as dietary calcium to prevent metabolic bone disease and tremors etc.

hermioneandletty

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1h2b4ihh said:
What do you have in place for UVB lighting? Proper heat and UVB exposure are as critical as dietary calcium to prevent metabolic bone disease and tremors etc.
She has 2 UVB lights but one of them hasn't been replaced in almost a year, she seems to be just fine as in being active and acting as usual, but her head shaking has been going on for about the last 5 days.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that she is active. Which UVB lights are you using? They aren't all equal so it matters which brand and wattage you are using because they need to be set at appropriate distance for their outputs.

hermioneandletty

Original Poster
CooperDragon":cyif3i7r said:
It's good that she is active. Which UVB lights are you using? They aren't all equal so it matters which brand and wattage you are using because they need to be set at appropriate distance for their outputs.
The bulbs came with the cage and are F15T5 12inch 10.0 UVB lights that are no more than 18 inches away.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A 15w T5 ReptiSun 10.0 is a good bulb although a bit short. 18'' from the basking area is a bit far for it to provide optimal UVB even with a reflector though. You might want to move it closer (12'' or so) or move to a more powerful bulb if it's going to sit 18'' above the basking area.

hermioneandletty

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ybsid4s said:
A 15w T5 ReptiSun 10.0 is a good bulb although a bit short. 18'' from the basking area is a bit far for it to provide optimal UVB even with a reflector though. You might want to move it closer (12'' or so) or move to a more powerful bulb if it's going to sit 18'' above the basking area.
Ok I'm looking into it, thank you for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom