Concerns about smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

PogoSyd

My beardie Pogo and I live in the Thousand Oaks area where there were recently several enormous brush fires. Just today I got notice that the evacuation orders were lifted and it's ok to return, although it's recommended to wear N95 particulate masks because of all the smoke and ash. The mask is fine for me, but what can I do to protect my beardie? I have to return to work asap, so waiting for the contaminants to dissipate entirely isn't really an option, but I don't want to hurt Pogo so.....I'm in a rather stressful bind right now.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

Hope everything is okay with your property! Do you have a furnace filter (preferably HEPA-rated) that you could tape over the viv opening? I'd also make sure that no noxious fumes have settled in it before putting Pogo in there. I remember a post a little while ago where someone bombed their house for bugs and poison settled into the viv with sad results.

PogoSyd

Original Poster
Aaradimian":3u8jwzbt said:
Hi,

Hope everything is okay with your property! Do you have a furnace filter (preferably HEPA-rated) that you could tape over the viv opening? I'd also make sure that no noxious fumes have settled in it before putting Pogo in there. I remember a post a little while ago where someone bombed their house for bugs and poison settled into the viv with sad results.

My building is still standing! No fire damage, although it still smells like smoke outside. I don't own any type of filters, but I will definitely clean out her viv before putting her back in. I'm still worried about both of our health, but it looks like the situation isn't as bad as I'd feared.

PogoSyd

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1255yoyx said:
Using the furnace filters is a good idea. You'd probably need something MERV 11 or higher to work against smoke. Using a room size air filter is a good idea too if you can get your hands on one. I have this one and it works really well (and has a HEPA filter in it). https://www.amazon.com/Coway-AP-1512HH-Mighty-Purifier-True/dp/B00BTKAPUU

Hmm, that filter is a bit pricey for me right now, but if I'm going to be living in SoCal for a while it might be a worthwhile investment. Thanks!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
My building is still standing! No fire damage, although it still smells like smoke outside. I don't own any type of filters, but I will definitely clean out her viv before putting her back in. I'm still worried about both of our health, but it looks like the situation isn't as bad as I'd feared.
That's awesome news! I know there are a lot of people out there who weren't so lucky. A high-quality furnace air filter at Home Depot will set you back about $20, though I'd get one that is the minimum rated for small particulates because with the higher density ones you trade air flow for filtration quality. In a furnace backed with a large fan, this is less of a concern, but in a static air condition, you'd have to be careful that it doesn't act like a lid and completely stall the inflow of filtered air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom