retained shed at the base of the tail in hatchling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValBCN

Hi again,

It's me again with another question regarding another of my hatchlings. One of them has gone through its first tail shed but there's a bit still stuck at the base. It looks tight and I have done all I can to loosen it but with little success. He has daily warm baths, a gentle massage and even a bit of coconut oil, but the skin looks gray and shiny and decidedly stuck there.
What else can I do to help? will it affect the tail? Will it *ever* go away??
full

thanks

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi again....you can apply raw honey to it and then scrape it VERY gently a bit at a time. Leave the honey on but be sure there are no leftover crickets in the tank after the baby eats. Do you have access to a good reptile vet ? I think you're in Spain from another thread unless I got mixed up [ I apologize if so ! ]

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I agree , definitely needs to be attended to by a vet - with right tools a vet can get it off in a few minutes with minimum stress and no pain to the lizard , don't be tempted to try to remove it physically yourself other than soaks in warm water and application of something like HERPASHED (spray) https://vetafarm.com.au/product/herpashed/
to loosen it up..

ValBCN

Original Poster
Oh dear. Ok, I'll keep giving him his daily baths, which he seems to enjoy, and I'll get some raw honey to try and loosen It. I'm aftaid I'm going to try and very gently scrape It with my fingernails (which are fairly short) afterwards, using a magnifying lens to make sure I'm not hurting him, because, as I said un a different thread, i have not yet found an exotic vet that actually knows anything about reptiles (I'm in Spain, exotic vets here is where you take your rabbit! A very exotic pet indeed...)

ValBCN

Original Poster
The retained skins came loose today! I hadnt yet done anything and It just became a big flap that I'm sure will fall eventually. So good news there and one less problem...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, that area will always comes off if you do the right thing which you did, no vet necessary. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom