LIZZIE HATES VEGGIES AND WATER

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayy

Hi, I have a beardie named Lizzie. She is about 5 months maybe, but she hates any sort of veggies! She won’t eat her greens, ive tried other kinds of greens but she hates them. The pet store gave them kale and spinach but she completely hates it, I could really use help with that. Also, my Lizzie hates water. She hates baths, being sprayed. I tried giving her a water bowl and one time she submerged herself in it but now she gets nowhere near it. I’m concerned that soon she won’t be healthy and I could really use some tips before she gets to that point. Thank you so much for your time!

I am new to beardies myself, but it’s my understanding that spinach isn’t good for them in more than tiny amounts (it binds to calcium and can cause issues) and that trying a variety of veggies combined with fruits they’ll love is a good way to encourage eating. Also, I’ve read that including some bright colors in there helps, like sprinkling grated carrots on top. It seems they are attracted to brightly colored foods. They also like variety and can be very picky about what veggies they eat, so keep trying! Squash and apples seem to be a fav for garnishing the top with flavor, and you may have to go through several types of greens to find their favs. Spinach isn’t a great pick, and lettuce doesn’t to have much nutritional value. You can find lists of what they can and can’t eat if you Google it.

Like I said, I’m new to beardies (snakes are much simpler when it comes to feeding!), but this is what little I’ve picked up so far!

As for the water, did she totally submerge herself? I think the water is only supposed to come up to their knees then you pour water over their backs. Also, what temp was the water? They like warm baths.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hey there, and welcome to the world of beardies. First off, if your beardie is only 5 months old right now, you don't need to stress out over her not eating a ton of greens. She should be consuming mostly insect protein, which can come from bugs like black soldier fly larvae, crickets, dubia roaches, and silkworms. Try to avoid hard worms like mealworms and superworms, or fatty ones like butter or wax worms. For greens, don't use spinach or lettuce, try dark leafy greens like collard, mustard, and turnip. Here is a full list: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

jayy

Original Poster
MitchTheDragonDad":2mx8a3zq said:
I am new to beardies myself, but it’s my understanding that spinach isn’t good for them in more than tiny amounts (it binds to calcium and can cause issues) and that trying a variety of veggies combined with fruits they’ll love is a good way to encourage eating. Also, I’ve read that including some bright colors in there helps, like sprinkling grated carrots on top. It seems they are attracted to brightly colored foods. They also like variety and can be very picky about what veggies they eat, so keep trying! Squash and apples seem to be a fav for garnishing the top with flavor, and you may have to go through several types of greens to find their favs. Spinach isn’t a great pick, and lettuce doesn’t to have much nutritional value. You can find lists of what they can and can’t eat if you Google it.

Like I said, I’m new to beardies (snakes are much simpler when it comes to feeding!), but this is what little I’ve picked up so far!

As for the water, did she totally submerge herself? I think the water is only supposed to come up to their knees then you pour water over their backs. Also, what temp was the water? They like warm baths.

I had the water at about 90 degrees. When she submerged herself she had everything under except her head and tail, seeing that she didn’t completely fit in the bowl. She was basically laying in it, flattened out and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom