Bearded Dragon Foot Curling??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelby13462

My beardie, Aurak, is about 8-9 months old. He's been perfectly fine since I got him as a baby, but lately he has been sitting in his viv with his left foot bent under his leg or with the bottom of his left foot facing up. When I notice it, I usually reach in and gently move his leg to a normal position. I figure a bone is a bone, a muscle is a muscle, just like in humans if we sit with something a certain way with pressure on it for an extensive period of time, it can get malformed, so it's probably the same for dragons. Problem is, I have no way of keeping him from doing so when I'm at work.
I just brought him out for a bit and he seemed unable to properly move that foot. When he tried to move around and climb around on me like normal, his foot would curl under and he would end up just rubbing it on me until I helped him. Should I get him to a vet or is this something I can correct at home?

He's in a 55 gal tank with solid carpet as substrate, a reptisun 10.0 tube under the screen, 75 or 100 watt (I don't recall which at the moment) ceramic heat bulb above the screen, and had a reptisun light and heat lamp also above the screen, but it burnt out about a week ago during a power outage and I haven't been able to get to the store for another one yet, hoping to tomorrow. As for basking, he has a large piece of sanitized driftwood that spans a good portion of the tank, up to about 8 inches from the top going diagonal so he can just walk up it and a large half log hide. I make sure he has water and mist him occasionally, he gets calcium powder on a mix of calciworms, mealworms, and typically roaches, though I've been out of roaches for a bit. I try giving him crickets but he won't move after them, even if they're crawling on him, so I just end up removing them. I give him greens (usually turnip greens, collard greens, and dandelion greens with the occasional pieces of raspberry or other fruits as a treat) with vitabits on them, but he wont eat any of it. I tried mixing the vitabit strips in with his worms and roaches and he picks out what moves and eats that, managing to avoid all of the vitabits somehow.

Shelby13462

Original Poster
I forgot to mention, there is no visible swelling of his foot and it doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it. It just seems to frustrate him when he tries to use it. He'll sit ant try for a moment, then look up at me expectantly until I move it for him.

My Set Up: https://ibb.co/c10nEd If I'm putting in the link right, that's it. The spotting on the glass is stained in because the tank was a fish tank for years, then sat empty for a few before I got him. I clean it regularly, but those marks won't come out. I'm about to wash his carpet, alone in the washer with hot water, no detergent as usual.
What he's doing with his leg: https://ibb.co/kUoJLJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom