Kidney Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelh90

Hey everyone, I know this is super long. I would really appreciate if people can read this and give me any feedback.

I have two bearded dragons, Bitsy and Balerion. They are both around 7-8 months old. I got them at a reptile expo in February when they were around 3-4 months old.

Bitsy got sick around 2.5 months ago. She wasn't eating well, growing, shedding etc. I knew something was wrong because Balerion was developing just fine.
I went to a vet and he found a small growth type thing on her face. Vet thought it might be puss and an infecton and we started oral antibiotics. That didn't help.
Her arms and fingers started to swell up too. We then did an x-ray and blood work and started her on injection antibiotics.
X-ray came back clear other than seeing the swelling on her face and arms. Blood work came back showing that her kidneys weren't breaking down the uric acid and it was staying in her body causing all the swelling.
I did everything the vet said to do and it kept getting worse.
Recently her body started to get crooked. She didn't shed or grow at all.
She is perky and alert though. She does have a hard time moving around and did fall on her back a couple of times and couldn't get up.
I went to the vet again today and he said she's most likely in pain. He said she's tolerating it well for now which is why she's still perky, but that could change at any time. He said its getting worse and another bump is forming on her face. Her legs are swollen now too. Its also why shes crooked. It's most likely kidney disease.

So now my options are to put her down, keep her until she goes on her own (which I wouldn't want to do if she's in pain), or go ahead with getting treatment. The vet doesn't recommend this. He feels she's so young and can't grow and doesn't feel like treatment would do her any good.

Does anyone have experience with this? Before I make a decision, I would love some feedback from people who know bearded dragons well or from anyone who's been through this. I guess I would like to feel like I've done as much research as I can before deciding such a big thing.

Thank you so much for reading this.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear this. :( Pictures would be very helpful, including ones of the original bump if you have any. Here;s how to post them.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Your dragon most likely has MBD as well as now developed gout, the gout possibly from too many antibiotics in his little body. What exact type of supplements and exact type of lights do you use ? Post pics of the set up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom