BSF grubs, no dusting required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdh357

I know that Black Soldier Fly larva are not supposed to require dusting because they already contain the nutrients needed. Does this mean if I were to make these my basic feeders instead of dubias that I would not ever need to dust anything? Would they still need a multivitamin? Any insight would be appreciated!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Personally i dont dust the BSF larvae because of what i've heard however i would still offer other insects just in case and dust the other insects since they still need dusting. Plus dubia roaches are easier to breed than Black soldier flys in my opinion. Ive tried and they all died, i saw them mate but they never laid eggs.

Better safe than sorry to dust the other insects in supplements.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, there should be some supplemental dusting [ very lightly ] no matter what you feed the dragons. One food item can not possibly give them all they need and it's best to be safe and offer the powder.

Swift

Do you have to dust if you feed your feeders all the vitamins and foods your dragon refuses to eat? I gutliad super Worms with beardy food, calcium vitamins etc, and they eat veggies and greens as their diet because my beardy won't eat it. So does that work? I dust worms with calcium only. What do you guys dust with?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
You still have to dust the insects, also i'd avoid feeding superworms they can cause fatty liver disease. Its best to only feed them as a treat, maybe once a week or twice a week and only 2-4 max and only for adults at least. They have pretty much only fat.
For actual staple feeders you can use silkworms, crickets, dubia roaches, calciworms or redrunner/turkish roaches.

If you dust worms with only calcium or any insects with only calcium your beardie wouldnt be getting enough vitamins it needs.
Preferably you want multivitamins and calcium supplements, i use the kind by reptical, calcium needs to be dusted on insects 5 times a week with multivitamins on insects twice a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom