Possible Vitamin D3 overdose in progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
I decided to start a new topic rather than continue on the old, given what had happened to the creator's own Bearded Dragon just the other day :( I don't wish any further pain on this individual and yeah, just thought doing it this way would be best...

So I've ordered the calcium supplement without the Vitamin D3 from a website that kingofnobby's suggested only to realize in the invoice they sent me that they are dropshipping from a U.S. warehouse, and it is going to take up to 25 business days for them to make good on the delivery. This really pisses me off because no where on their (Australian) website did they suggest such long delivery times plus being a local website, you would think everything is just that, local! I appreciate that dropshipping keeps prices cheap but other than that, it annoys me to no end.

Will my Iggy be okay in the meantime on the calcium supplement that contains added Vitamin D3, despite being under lighting conditions that involve a 4 foot Arcadia 14% UVB tube and a Exo-Terra Solar-Glo 10% UVB MVB? He has been under such lighting for about a month now, if memory serves me correct (which it never does). This is what I have been and currently still use:

95175-2853719983.jpg

When I first brought Iggy home from the pet-shop, there was a Reptile One brand calcium supplement included with the vivarium kit but I immediately replaced that with the above the moment I found out about that company's dark undergoings.

EDIT: For those wanting a current update on Iggy's living conditions, then please check this topic here: https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=237464

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keep an eye on the colour of Iggy's urates, if they take on an orange tinge, it indicates Iggy's metabolism is not coping with the amount of VitD3 in the bloodstream and so calcium is precipating in the urates.

I don't think , in reality , a month of surplus vitD3 ( natural made by Iggy in the skin due to UVB exposure and synthetic in the Ca powder ) is going to have any long term issues.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with Knobbys, 3 weeks or so of this isn't going to cause an "overdose" of Vitamin D3, not so much that it will cause any health issues, but if his urates start to look orange or pink tinted, you'll know that he's excreting a lot of excess calcium...but I doubt that will happen in that short amount of time...

How often do you dust? If you're really concerned about it, you can actually cut back a day of dusting until the other Calcium comes. I wouldn't do this unless his urates start to become tinged with orange or pink, if that happens then go ahead and cut back a day of dusting until the other stuff comes in the mail.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1w833xpq said:
Keep an eye on the colour of Iggy's urates, if they take on an orange tinge, it indicates Iggy's metabolism is not coping with the amount of VitD3 in the bloodstream and so calcium is precipating in the urates.

I don't think , in reality , a month of surplus vitD3 ( natural made by Iggy in the skin due to UVB exposure and synthetic in the Ca powder ) is going to have any long term issues.

EllenD":1w833xpq said:
I agree with Knobbys, 3 weeks or so of this isn't going to cause an "overdose" of Vitamin D3, not so much that it will cause any health issues, but if his urates start to look orange or pink tinted, you'll know that he's excreting a lot of excess calcium...but I doubt that will happen in that short amount of time...

How often do you dust? If you're really concerned about it, you can actually cut back a day of dusting until the other Calcium comes. I wouldn't do this unless his urates start to become tinged with orange or pink, if that happens then go ahead and cut back a day of dusting until the other stuff comes in the mail.

Thank you, kingofnobby's and EllenD, I really appreciate the replies and information you have given me. I check his stools in detail everytime he poops so noticing anything different should be no problem, plus I plan on taking Iggy to the vet sometime soon for a fecal workup and general observation of the outside to see if there's anything outstanding. It will also allow me to see if the vet I'm going to is any decent or not, for if a real emergency strikes.

EllenD, I dust once a day, every day of the week. I also dust the insects more heavily than I should, with them ending up quite powdery, alas. It's either that or them having very, very little powder as I can't seem to strike a good balance, it seems. Is this going to cause a problem, do you think?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
phobosdthorga":g7d7vhqj said:
kingofnobbys":g7d7vhqj said:

EllenD":g7d7vhqj said:

Thank you, kingofnobby's and EllenD, I really appreciate the replies and information you have given me. I check his stools in detail everytime he poops so noticing anything different should be no problem, plus I plan on taking Iggy to the vet sometime soon for a fecal workup and general observation of the outside to see if there's anything outstanding. It will also allow me to see if the vet I'm going to is any decent or not, for if a real emergency strikes.

EllenD, I dust once a day, every day of the week. I also dust the insects more heavily than I should, with them ending up quite powdery, alas. It's either that or them having very, very little powder as I can't seem to strike a good balance, it seems. Is this going to cause a problem, do you think?

A LIGHT coating is sufficient .

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1p5wm4er said:
A LIGHT coating is sufficient .

Okay, thanks! This might be a strange request but do you mind actually taking a picture of how much the coating should be?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I can take a photo in a bit if you'd like. What I do with bugs is put them in a small cup (old yogurt container in my case but anything that size will do). I put some bugs in it, then put some supplement powder over them and then gently shake the cup. This winds up giving them a light even coat and the excess falls to the bottom. Then I release the bugs one or a few at a time (however many is easy to track).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom