Another rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I'd been wondering if Cheakie had finally had her babies, and if she'd been able to keep them out from underfoot while all your remodeling was going on. Do you think she has more of them in a nest somewhere?

Early fall for you, early spring for us over here on the other side of the world. The "glaciers" in our back yard have been retreating fast, and our beardie decided he likes greens again all of a sudden about a month ago, and has been pigging out on his salad several time a day ever since. We'll have a yardfull of dandelions for him pretty soon. :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I've been reading this for a while and I just love this thread!! You did an excellent job at nursing her back to health and caring for her! She's definitely got some spunk too! I Never knew that a little skink would have so much personality. You're so lucky to have those wonderful lizards running around your home!! :blob5: :blob5: :D

I Think an eastern water skink might be my next animal. :) do you know where I would get some good care info for them?

Keep up the great work on caring for spunky little fluffy! :D

-HippieLizards.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I don't know if they are available from breeders outside Australia.

They are very common in the wild here in my area of Australia , they thrive in suburbia , but are very hard find captive bred , very full collectors have breeding groups (I know of only 4 or 5 people who have captive breeding groups / colonies of eastern water skinks here in Australia - which is a shame as they such great little pets and become very tame in the right hands.

A lot of keepers are too focused on larger skinks that attract larger prices when sold as babies or as juveniles or subadults (ie northern BTs, shinglebacks, landmullets, Cunningham skinks, and pinktongue skinks. She Oak skinks, tree skinks, water skinks, rainbow skinks , sandswimmers, and smaller skinks are unusually overlooked (and hard to find breeders who have them, essentially you find a breeder and place your order and wait your turn to buy from them).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
HippieLizards":1nkraf4t said:
Hello,

I've been reading this for a while and I just love this thread!! You did an excellent job at nursing her back to health and caring for her! She's definitely got some spunk too! I Never knew that a little skink would have so much personality. You're so lucky to have those wonderful lizards running around your home!! :blob5: :blob5: :D

<<<< been my observation that skinks in general are
... very inquisitive
... very adaptive
... full of spunk
... very brainy
... and tame up very quickly in the right hands and
even smaller species are more than just look don't touch don't interact with reptiles .

I Think an eastern water skink might be my next animal. :) do you know where I would get some good care info for them?

https://coburgaquarium.com.au/pdf.php?id=1588 , I treat mine like I do hatchling bearded dragons only cooler and wetter (they LOVE the water dish !!!) and have learnt from experience and observing the behavior of the resident wild water skinks.
I've also asked for advice from the few keepers / breeders I've discovered.

I've never seen a good caresheet for eastern water skinks / golden skinks (Eulamprus quoyii)

Keep up the great work on caring for spunky little fluffy! :D

-HippieLizards.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":fc3va79e said:
I'd been wondering if Cheakie had finally had her babies, and if she'd been able to keep them out from underfoot while all your remodeling was going on. Do you think she has more of them in a nest somewhere?

Early fall for you, early spring for us over here on the other side of the world. The "glaciers" in our back yard have been retreating fast, and our beardie decided he likes greens again all of a sudden about a month ago, and has been pigging out on his salad several time a day ever since. We'll have a yardfull of dandelions for him pretty soon. :D

Chances are the baby we've seen in bedrooms, laundry, bathroom kitchen and dining area may be more than one skink.... been very warm for April here the last few couple of weeks and some baby water skinks have been showing up outside (watching my wife and being very forward when she leave dead insects on the path for them).

This is not the first time we've had a pregnant wild skink deliver a few babies inside the house , and had the mother go into brumation (disappear from April til July/August) while the babies or a baby stayed inside and was seen regularly (or more likely heard).

Held off replacing the old modular lounge , mostly because I was worried about our resident wild skink/s winding up getting hurt in process or stowing away inside the old lounge and disappearing when the old lounge went to the tip or into the skip. We were very careful when sorting stuff to put into storage or to go into the skip , and the wild inside skinks made themselves scarce when the removalists and the tradesmen were in the house.
Want to schedule the removal of the old lounge and installation of the new one for Mid / late June, most local skinks except the babies will be curled up and brumating then.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Wow! you really are lucky to have such awesome lizards running around your house!! Unfortunately most of the lizards near my home are five lined skinks and eastern fence lizards. and Both are pretty skittish. Occasionally I'll get an eastern fence lizard to crawl onto my hand and eat a cricket or two but they mainly run away. :|

At my old house my yard used to be infested with green anoles and they were sorta like the EWS you have in Australia. :)

Thank you for the link though! :) Quick question: Do they need lights at all?

That stinks that they're not captive bred that much.. :( They sound like an awesome pet. :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
HippieLizards":2fuv7gyp said:
Wow! you really are lucky to have such awesome lizards running around your house!! Unfortunately most of the lizards near my home are five lined skinks and eastern fence lizards. and Both are pretty skittish. Occasionally I'll get an eastern fence lizard to crawl onto my hand and eat a cricket or two but they mainly run away. :|

At my old house my yard used to be infested with green anoles and they were sorta like the EWS you have in Australia. :)

Thank you for the link though! :) Quick question: Do they need lights at all? <<< yes , basking globe (I aim for 32-34 degC basking spot) and I give fluffy the equivalent to a 25W UVB150 (5% UVB) , they need UVB and love sunbaking on warm sunny rocks .

That stinks that they're not captive bred that much.. :( They sound like an awesome pet. :D

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That's very kind of you to schedule the rest of your remodeling around the needs of your little reptilian houseguests. :)

It seems to me that blue tongued skinks are fairly popular here in the USA, but I'm not sure about their availability -- I've never tried to get one myself. :?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Yes, that's pretty cool. :D

and Blue tongues are EVERYWHERE. It's mainly all blue tongues and not many other skinks. :|

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
I Like blue tongues, But prefer beardies over them. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Well , Fluffy has been insisting on feeding herself lately, so I've been leaving her ceramic worm escape proof food dish with a mix of BSFL , mealworms, mealworm pupae, small silkworms, and disabled medium crickets and disabled mealworm beetles in her 100L tub and letting her decide what she wants to eat.

Seems her favourates are mealworms (all stages) , crickets and occasional bits of fresh molted quartered superworms .

This afternoon I dropped two medium disabled crickets into her tub , she was inside her little house and came out right away and made fast work of one cricket and retired for a little while, I removed the second cricket to her dish , and she soon came back out and was looking for it, she's not a dummy - she remembered there was a second cricket and wanted it , didn't take her long to find it.

She also dreams , I've seen her dreaming , twitching legs and tail , and looking like she was eating or licking something when she's been completely asleep.

She also lets me know when she wants to come out now, she'll stand at the corner of her tank and look at me and scratch at the corner with her hands, and wont stop until i lift the lid and pick her up. I think she quite likes being a kept skink.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
That is amazing how smart she is!!! Wow. :D

Thor would occasionally head bob in his sleep or lick his lips. Cisco would sometimes sleepwalk from her hide box to her hammock Lol. Daisy and Loki don't seem to do much while asleep.

That's really impressive that she remembered the second cricket and wanted it. :)

Almost all reptiles are super smart... Thor was very consistent with bedtime.. He would go to sleep at around 8-9 PM and he would tap on the side of his cage waiting to be wrapped up in his blanket. I'm going to miss doing that now. :(

How's the remodelling going so far?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
HippieLizards":38gy5x8s said:
That is amazing how smart she is!!! Wow. :D

Thor would occasionally head bob in his sleep or lick his lips. Cisco would sometimes sleepwalk from her hide box to her hammock Lol. Daisy and Loki don't seem to do much while asleep.

That's really impressive that she remembered the second cricket and wanted it. :) .... she's not the first time I've seen this with water skinks , Lucky and Wriggles were IMO pretty darned smart and capable of counting too, had great memories, definite likes and dislikes , had individual personalities and characters and quirks, and were often observed dreaming.
The BTs and beardies do the same kinds of things too....

Almost all reptiles are super smart... Thor was very consistent with bedtime.. He would go to sleep at around 8-9 PM and he would tap on the side of his cage waiting to be wrapped up in his blanket. I'm going to miss doing that now. :(

How's the remodelling going so far?

Stalled .... bloody hard to actually get them to show up , and those who do , never show up when scheduled and only a few have even bothered giving a WRITTEN QUOTE.

I had a cladder muck me about for over a month only to eventually tell me "his boss wont let him do what what I wanted ". How hard is it to clad over my old garage's walls and gables existing cellulose cement sheeting with Colorbond steel sheeting to help make it more weatherproof and secure .... really how hard can it be throw some steel sheets over the existing cladding and use self tapping screws to fasten it to the wood structure ?
... the painters , concreters and builders (for deck and car port) haven't been any better.

Was hoping it would all be done by summer but this might not happen.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Oh No.. I Hope that the stubborn builders will finally get off their lazy bums and help you remodel. :banghead:

and Eastern water skinks must have a large brain (compared to their size) Because I've never seen a lizard that smart. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom