Possible breathing issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, first time beardie owner here!
I have a male bearded dragon that I adopted almost 1 month ago, he's around 15 months old now.
He's currently being treated for Coccidia and worms using Albon (this is his second day of taking it) and I go pick up his de-worming medication tomorrow at the vet and I'm not sure what medication he'll be using yet. The Albon is 5% and he takes .3cc orally for 7 days, stop for a week, and then 7 more days. He weighed 309g on Friday at the vet's office and he's around 15 inches long. When I was there she said that he looked healthy but that he seemed *slightly* dehydrated, probably due to him not eating for a few days before being diagnosed with the parasites + runny/watery poop.

Today while I was bathing him I noticed that he was breathing differently than I had seen him do thus far. I was able to get a quick video of it afterwards and will post the link at the bottom.
We use a reptisun 10.0 tube for UVB and he's on paper towel as his substrate. Temps are good but humidity has been a bit high for the past few days (it's gone up to 60% during the night). I use a temperature gun to measure the temps. I ordered a dehumidifier and I plan on using it tonight once it arrives. He typically eats dubia roaches, superworms, collard greens, dandelion greens, and blackberries. You'll see some blackberry on his mouth in the video and in the pics. He ate after his bath so it's stained him a bit lol. I dust the food with calcium. He didn't seem to have any issues eating, but after he was done he inhaled quite a bit and kinda... Puffed it out? He just made a little "Pfff" noise with his mouth and he has never done that before. He had a black beard for a little while after I gave him the Albon but it went away after he was done eating and then came back a bit about an hour later.
I feel like it's a little soon for it to possibly be a respiratory infection given that the humidity has only been off for a few days. I googled it and it seems this could be the beginning of a shed? I'm not sure. I noticed he's had a few "loose" scales on his body that I'll also include pictures of, but these have been this way since I adopted him and have not changed since bringing him home so I wasn't sure if they're from a previous shed or an upcoming one.

Any possible insight to lessen my worry would be great and ask me any questions you might want to know and I'll try to answer them. Thank you!

Breathing Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgEoPHwlWWs

Pics:
95499-8083187034.jpg

95499-9422176526.jpg

95499-9983963416.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's a cute little guy. Hopefully he gets over the parasites quickly. Albon is an older med and can be quite harsh on his system so I suggest offering him drops of water on his nose to lick up to help keep him well hydrated to protect his kidneys a bit and to replace the lost water from the poop. Also be sure to sanitize surface that come near his poop with either steam or an ammonia/water mixture which should be effective against coccidia. This will help reduce the chances of reinfection after treatment.

The breathing in the video looks a lot like what my guys have done after a meal. I think of it more like a burping than coughing due to respiratory problems. 60% humidity shouldn't be a big deal, especially at night when the lights are out (the lighting cuts humidity a bit during the day so it's natural for it to rise a bit overnight). That's still within the range of their natural habitat.

ShinyKarissa

Original Poster
Thank you for responding so quickly! Yes, I also just ordered some bee pollen to try to get him to eat more of his greens and be more hydrated. He really is stubborn sometimes, he refuses to take water from a dropper and will only ingest it if I spray his food down quite a bit. I didn't know if it was okay to essentially "force feed" him water with one of the syringes we have so I haven't tried it yet.
I'm glad to know that the humidity isn't a huge issue, I've been driving myself crazy about it over the last few days.

He was doing that breathing in the bath before he ate though, is that normal as well?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's eating some of the veges that should help. They won't always drink from a dropper if they aren't thirsty. I wouldn't force it but just keep offering so he has it available if he wants it. In the wild they have been seen standing up in the rain and tilting their heads forward. They catch the rain drops in the groove between their eyes and it runs down to their nose so they can lick it up. I try to replicate this a bit using drips from a plastic syringe and it works well. Others will spray the tip of their nose for the same effect. Just make water easily available. he'll know when he's thirsty.

They can breathe heavily like that at any time. I see it after meals most often though. If he was doing that in the bath perhaps he aspirated a bit of water. Did you see him drinking from the bath or did his face go under water? If he didn't breathe in much it shouldn't be a big deal. You could set him at a slight angle downward with his face down to help his lungs drain overnight if you're concerned about it. It still may be unrelated and him just relieving some gas like a burp which can happen at any time.

ShinyKarissa

Original Poster
I'll have to try that and see if it works on him, thank you!

And I don't think so, no, I keep a very close eye on him while he bathes and he's never more than well.. Like a foot in front of my face when he's in the water and I watch him the entire time. He's never drank from the bath either, I don't think I've ever seen him drink any sort of standing water. The only water intake he seems to be remotely interested in is from his food but I'll try your method and see if it works on him.

He's sleeping now and doesn't seem to be having any issues, but I'll have to see how he acts tomorrow when he wakes up. I'm so attached to him already and I swear... I worry about every little thing he does lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....Cooper mentioned that Albon is the old way to medicate for coccidia and not much recommended anymore. It is very harsh and can do more harm than good. The go to drug now for coccidia is Ponazuril [ toltrazuril ] which can usually kick the coccidia in 2 doses. You might want to just get some of that and forget the harsh Albon. 14 days of it can do some kidney damage.

You can actually order it here, complete with dosing instructions.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjCkaXCmL3XAhXKSiYKHTQKAQEQFgguMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.beardeddragon.co%2Findex.php%3Froute%3Dproduct%2Fproduct%26product_id%3D478&usg=AOvVaw2H9jfRtGJq0AWUcHXrpA9c

ShinyKarissa

Original Poster
Also, do you have a recommendation for de-worming? I don't know all of the medications nor do I know which one he will be prescribed tomorrow but I'd like to get the best one for him if possible.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that Ponazuril is more commonly used now and seems to be less harsh so I would at least speak with your vet about it vs Albon.

Deworming med depends on which worm is present and how high of a count. Low counts of parasitic worms can generally be managed by a healthy dragon's immune system and aren't treated. Especially common ones like pinworm. If moderate to high levels of pinworm are found, the go to med is usually Panacur.

ShinyKarissa

Original Poster
We went ahead and ordered the Coccidia med and some Panacur as well, we'll mention it to our vet and see what she thinks about it. I also ordered the probiotic powder? I read that giving them some probiotic powder is good.

He's up today and everything is seemingly normal so far but I just fed him today so he's eating now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Offering probiotics along with antibiotic meds can be helpful to replenish gut flora. It has been reported to help bring back appetite after treatment. It's probably most important to keep up as much hydration as you can to protect kidneys from the meds though.

ShinyKarissa

Original Poster
Definitely will do. I should receive the bee pollen tomorrow and hopefully that helps him eat more of his greens.

The vet prescribed Panacur for Phil so that's great that I already ordered it. I just gave him another bath and he refused to poop. Hasn't pooped since Friday so I'm just waiting for him to poop so I can clean it up. But overall he's been alert and eating well so I think everything will be okay! Just waiting on the meds in the mail so I can start treating him.

Thank you again for all of the help and recommendations!

ShinyKarissa

Original Poster
Well, I just noticed something new that could be contributing to the breathing issue I noticed yesterday. I looked into his tank while he was trying to nap and saw that his nose seems to be plugged with something? I'm not sure if this is mucus or shedding but it seems to move when he breathes sometimes. Wasn't able to capture it on video but I got a couple of pictures.
95499-3141721143.jpg

95499-1114854506.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks like maybe shed but could be swollen membrane in the nose. My guy has that too and it doesn't seem to cause a long term issue.

ShinyKarissa

Original Poster
Sorry for asking so many questions and stuff, but does this look normal? :(
He look like he has a black beard too so I'm assuming he's uncomfortable. He's just never done this before and I can't help but worry.

https://youtu.be/4zpi248oWqk

The sound in the background is my cat. And no, he doesn't come into contact with him nor is he able to get to him so don't worry about that just in case. ^^;

Edit: I'm watching him and he looks like he's struggling a bit and breathing heavily. Almost like he's constipated or something. He keeps swallowing after every couple of deep breaths. He's trying to sleep but it doesn't seem like he's able to do so very easily. Could this be because he hasn't pooped since Friday?

Edit again: He's still breathing a bit heavily but he's sleeping pretty well right now. Goes a while without breathing, takes 5-7 deep breaths and then stops breathing for a little bit again. I've heard they do that when they sleep so I'm assuming that's normal. He hasn't gaped or opened his mouth at all today. Was kinda a lazy day for him other than having a bath.

Update: He took a big poop this morning and now he seems completely normal lol. I guess he was just a little constipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom