Is his tail cause for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourmaline

I got this guy a few days ago, purchased from my job with some health issues (twitching, issues walking, falling over). I noticed his tail has.. Notches? As if it was bitten by one of the other babies he was in with. Maybe a bad shed? He shed pretty much his entire body the second day home.

It looks darker than the rest of his tail, and I honestly didn't notice it when I brought him home so I'm not sure if it's getting darker. He has control over the tip still, it's flexible, and he doesn't mind me touching it. Could it be a break or am I being a worrywart? His other issues have subsided with lots of food and proper lighting, now it's just this that's concerning me. I put arrows to the indentations, I can't get them to show well on camera.
93394-9585747937.jpg
93394-6956912037.jpg

And bonus pic of some cute baby arm waving. He does this every time I handle him. I like how different he is compared to my other beardie when he was a baby. My other male wanted to eat everyone's face at all times at this age. I've never even seen him wave.
93394-852700971.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, right now it doesn't look bad but keep an eye on it to be sure there's no band of skin restricting blood flow. You can put a bit of neosporin on or raw honey to keep it from infection. If you use honey be sure there are no loose bugs in the tank.

He's a cutie, nice to hear that you've given him the care he needs. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the bands aren't open wounds and just look like tighter skin that isn't shedding, you might try some plain aloe to help soften the skin a bit so the bands come loose with the next shed. That may help prevent the end from falling off. If that does happen it's not usually a big deal but infection is the risk as AHBD mentioned and using the honey or plain neosporin on wounded areas will help prevent infection and allow damaged areas to heal over cleanly.

Tourmaline

Original Poster
I don't think the blood flow is restricted enough to cause tissue decay. It would probably be black by now, at least at the very tip where it's worst. I've been putting Neosporin on it twice a day. It's a little easier to see the marks in this picture. They're the dark lines that don't quite go with his pattern.
93394-1220099531.jpg

I like him, he's very friendly for such a small baby. I'm used to my grumpy boy. He's napping under my hand as I type this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom