Has not pooped but loves to eat, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ljoselyne

Hello, so I recently got a bearded dragon 5 days ago.
I had a bad experience a couple of months ago and had a little baby bearded dragon die on me after one month of having it. It really broke my heart. I finally decided to give it another try.

The pet store I bought him from says he is 8-12 months old

I got him 5 days ago and have been feeding him dubia roaches from the same pet store
They told me to feed him 3-4 a day so that is what he has been eating. Along with a few veggies (collard greens, yellow squah, zucchini, carrot) after the roaches (if I shake them enough!) (and he seems to like the squash) but I have come to see how much he loves to eat

He has been sleeping all day and only comes out to eat, bask for about an hour and then goes back in his hide where he eventually falls asleep again.

The basking spot is 97 F

He (or she) has not pooped in the time that I have had him (but I remember seeing poop in his tank at the pet store)

I took him a bath for about 7 mins (I know its supposed to be 10 but I forgot my phone and couldnt time it) and he still didnt poop

Am I too worried?? Is this normal? Should I wait longer for him to poop? Should I stop feeding it roaches?? I dont want him to die, poor thing

I am including a picture so you can see the tank set up
91358-5103801284.jpg

He might not yet be fully comfortable, you've only had him for 5 days, and 5 days really isn't that long for a reptile (they need about a 10th the food for the same body mass).

Don't stop feeding him, having less food pass through his gut is only going to make him less enthusiastic about getting rid of the waste. Make sure you dust all his food with calcium, it's super important for their health especially as youngsters.

You've said you've tried giving him a bath, so besides that I'd just wait and see. I've had beardies go for months without pooing, but that's usually because they're brumating. Are you in the northern hemisphere? I'm in Australia so our beardies are waking up but yours might be getting ready/starting to brumate.

ljoselyne

Original Poster
I live in northern california
And yeah I know I just got him, Im just trying not to let that make me too relaxed since that's what happened with the last beardie (i thought he just wasnt comfortable but in reality he was sick or something)

But yes, that makes me feel a little bit better

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, there are a couple of things going on at the same time here which can make him do what you are saying.
First, relocation stress can take a while with a dragon that age. Up to 3 weeks for some.
I also see that he is in shed in that picture. They can get really cranky durning a shed.

Just a question? Are you by chance using a night light for heat at night? If so please don't, they prefer it dark and cool at night so they can rest. 65 to 75 is optimum at night and, lights of "any color" disturbs their sleep cycle and, makes them irritable. Use a CHE "ceramic heat emitter" if temps in your home drop below 65° at night.

ljoselyne

Original Poster
Yes I use a ceramic heater at night

And ok, I was wondering if he was shedding or not since I have not seen a change in color since I got him, but then again, I have only had him for 5 days

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
ljoselyne":8896z7hi said:
Yes I use a ceramic heater at night

And ok, I was wondering if he was shedding or not since I have not seen a change in color since I got him, but then again, I have only had him for 5 days
You are going to make a good slave.... I mean owner, lol!

Akire

I'm in northern California too! :D Like the others said, I wouldn't be worried about the lack of poops yet. My little one took a while to poop after I brought him home and when he did it was practically as big as he was, haha. I've read they can get a bit constipated from the stress of being in a new environment.

ljoselyne":3kdy3197 said:
I live in northern california
And yeah I know I just got him, Im just trying not to let that make me too relaxed since that's what happened with the last beardie (i thought he just wasnt comfortable but in reality he was sick or something)

But yes, that makes me feel a little bit better

Good, don't stress, it's awesome to see that you care a lot about him! (or her, actually do you know the sex?)

ljoselyne

Original Poster
I dont know the sex, Ive resorted to calling it "him" or "it" although sometimes I end up calling it "her" in my heard haha

I want it to be a boy because I think the egg laying will stress me out but if its a girl, Im sure I will deal with it when the time comes

No matter what, I am just happy to have a bearded dragon again, even if I do stress out easily

Since he is shedding, I have him another bath and massaged its belly

HE POOPED, yes!

Haha! Awesome. Maybe hes starting to settle in.

Whatever sex your dragon is they'll be a lovely companion. I've had a male and a female, both were great - the Male was a macho man, he was always head bobbing - Female was/is very friendly but a bit sassy :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....if you post a pic with his/her tail arched up I can probably sex it for you. With the dragon flat on the ground or in your hand, arch the tail up high while his feet are on the ground. [ In other words , don't lift his back end off the ground while you do this ] Arch the tail up so it almost curves over the back, think of a dog when it's really excited+ tail is high in the air. Then take a few good pics ingood lighting to post here.

Another method you can try is this :
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=209431

ljoselyne

Original Poster
Thanks! Your bearded dragons sound adorable

And that would be great! I will take the pics when i am home and someone is there to help me hold the camera
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom