I think my beardie gotta a bone disease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a little worried my beeardie has been shedding so I haven’t been bothering him much, he has his calcium in his water and I just started feeding him with his roaches again. He walks fine with his front but he drag the back and just keeps them in the same position. Is it normal for baby beardies to not walk with their hind legs when shedding ? Or is he actually hurt ... pls I need help and I know it’s hard to tell without video of the beardie walking.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you review your tank setup with us, such as the type & brand of UVB?
What are the temperatures in the tank?
How long has he not been eating? The calcium water is ok, but, he is probably not getting
nearly enough calcium especially if he isn't drinking much. I would recommend getting a
powdered calcium supplement to use to powder the roaches. How many are you giving him
a day? He looks young, so, he needs a good amount of protein daily.
They shouldn't drag their legs however & normally that indicates muscle weakness or an
impaction. If he isn't receiving the proper UVB lighting, he has probably developed metabolic
bone disease.

Tracie

Genesis0831

Original Poster
Not sure if I can remember everything you listed but I’ll try to explain. I use a uvb 10.0 light is an 18 inch tube. He has calcium with water but I’m starting to powder his roaches again. Which he eats about 5 three times a day. The temp in his cool side I saw 80 and on the basking 100. The humidity is high today but that’s because of the weather it’s at 50. It’s usually at 30-40. And his temps are usually 10 degrees higher but it’s night so it’s starting to cool off. He just recently got under his branch and he does not want to move off. I’m scared if he’s sick I don’t want him to die. I’m a first reptile owner and I believe I did a lot of research before getting him so I would be ok but nothing really prepared to when it would happen. Anyways today he only ate in the morning, no appetite in the afternoon or now at the night. He also pooped a lot , so that’s a little worrysome.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I see you have used calcium in water but have you actually seen him drink from it? Also, babies tend to like hotter/ more warmer temps. You can try to increase the temperature just a little bit. Check out this link has proper temperatures : https://www.beardeddragoncare101.com/proper-temperatures-bearded-dragon/ That might also help increase his appetite. When your beardie does go to the bathroom, how does it look? Solid? Runny? What color? At night do you use any lights or anything?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your 10 tube bulb, is it a Reptisun or a Reptiglo? It should have the brand stamped on one end
of the tube. Is it mounted on top of the screen top or underneath of it?
He most likely has not been getting adequate calcium intake though. Let us know the brand of
the tube bulb you are using. I'm glad you have started giving him powdered calcium again. You
can let him eat as many roaches as he wants since he is so young right now & needs that amount
to grow.
Is his beard black at all?

Tracie

Genesis0831

Original Poster
Yes he drinks from his water I’ve seen it many times , the light is a reptisun one it’s on top of his tank , and his beard is white. He eats as many roaches as he likes :) I don’t count them for him I jut feed him till he doesn’t chase them anymore. The first two times I’ve seen him poop it was runy, red and it looked like it had shells from the roaches. Too big for him I would say, since I’ve seen his poop before but maybe that’s cz it dried out ? I’m not sure. Also his temps are ususlaly that high 110-115, and 90 always , just till he goes to bed which they go to around 65.also at night I don’t use a light for him at all , and I cover his tank with a darker blanket so it can really dark since I have a small night light in my room and I don’t want to disturb his sleep.

Savora

Hatchling Member
Genesis0831":36ji30ta said:
Yes he drinks from his water I’ve seen it many times , the light is a reptisun one it’s on top of his tank , and his beard is white. He eats as many roaches as he likes :) I don’t count them for him I jut feed him till he doesn’t chase them anymore. The first two times I’ve seen him poop it was runy, red and it looked like it had shells from the roaches. Too big for him I would say, since I’ve seen his poop before but maybe that’s cz it dried out ? I’m not sure. Also his temps are ususlaly that high 110-115, and 90 always , just till he goes to bed which they go to around 65.also at night I don’t use a light for him at all , and I cover his tank with a darker blanket so it can really dark since I have a small night light in my room and I don’t want to disturb his sleep.

The red runny poop is usually indicative of a parasite, which should be easily treated if tested for. You could bring a fecal sample to your vet (without an appointment, usually) and have it tested for a fee cheaper than a full appointment. After you know what kind of parasite it is you can let us know, and we'll tell you which dewormer is most appropriate for the parasite. Dr. Tracie is most helpful with parasites and has even helped me out when my beardie was dealing with one :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, cute little baby you have there. :) Definitely put the calcium on his food since there's no way for him to get enough in his water. Another thing, his temps. are too high. The basking hot zone should be 105 and the cool side be no more than 80. Your night temp. is O.k but no lower than that .

Genesis0831

Original Poster
Oh what I thought they had to be high for babies. I’ll keel it lower though And thank you. I’m not sure where I can see a vet here but I’ll try to find one.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If the roaches are too big they can cause impaction and even a little bit of blood. Impaction can also lead to paralysis of the back legs, but it's still likely to be a calcium deficiency adding to the problem.
Can you post a picture of the roaches next to a dime to show the size ?

Genesis0831

Original Poster
Ehh i started feeding him smaller ones again so if it’s from that I hope it can get better. The roaches are about the size of a dime some of the older ones the little ones are about the size of a toddlers pinky nail. Can’t take a picture right now

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Size of a dime is a bit too big for him, be sure to only use small ones, if you only have the dime sized ones you can cut them in half .

Genesis0831

Original Poster
Oh I will try cutting them in half thank you. I bought them online and the sizes were all over the place. That’s really helpful , I thought that if I cut them in half he wouldn’t eat them but I hope he does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom