Why is my baby so stressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPleger

I have an almost 5 month old boy that I've owned about 6 weeks. The last 2 days he's been stressed out. He's got the striations on his belly and his color has been from slightly darker to very dark on occasion. Nothing has changed. His viv is the same, eating habits the same, temps...nothing has changed. Is there something I should be concerned about?

Savora

Hatchling Member
Hi! Aside from making sure something in the viv hadn't changed (like the UVB bulb hasn't exceeded its 6-month life, the basking temps are staying in the appropriate ranges of 100-115F, the cool side is under 85F, the substrate isn't too dirty [which is almost impossible to clean if the substrate is sand]), I wouldn't worry too much about the beardie's coloration unless they're showing other signs of illness: not pooping/eating regularly, black bearding, frequent coughing, etc. Bearded dragon "stress lines" aren't actually the best indicator of stress, sometimes they just show up. They usually darken themselves in order to soak up more light/heat, so maybe it would help to raise the temps a little bit or switch out the UVB bulb if it's nearing the end of its 6-month life. (Also, if your UVB isn't a fluorescent tube Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12%, keep in mind that other UVB bulbs have a reputation of not emitting a reliable amount of UVB.)

KDPleger

Original Poster
Savora":1dcrphoo said:
Hi! Aside from making sure something in the viv hadn't changed (like the UVB bulb hasn't exceeded its 6-month life, the basking temps are staying in the appropriate ranges of 100-115F, the cool side is under 85F, the substrate isn't too dirty [which is almost impossible to clean if the substrate is sand]), I wouldn't worry too much about the beardie's coloration unless they're showing other signs of illness: not pooping/eating regularly, black bearding, frequent coughing, etc. Bearded dragon "stress lines" aren't actually the best indicator of stress, sometimes they just show up. They usually darken themselves in order to soak up more light/heat, so maybe it would help to raise the temps a little bit or switch out the UVB bulb if it's nearing the end of its 6-month life. (Also, if your UVB isn't a fluorescent tube Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12%, keep in mind that other UVB bulbs have a reputation of not emitting a reliable amount of UVB.)

Thanks for the info! I always thought the black striations on the belly were a sign of stress. He seems to be a little better now. The bulb is only a month old. And it is a reptisun 10.0. Thanks for checking. I lowered the basking light just a hair and brought the temps up about 3 degrees. I think he's fine. I'm just used to him being a baby and running and jumping everywhere.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Savora":81gj3a2r said:
Hi! Aside from making sure something in the viv hadn't changed (like the UVB bulb hasn't exceeded its 6-month life, the basking temps are staying in the appropriate ranges of 100-115F,
<<<< BAD ADVICE !!!
>>>> 115F (46 degC) WAY TOO HOT !!!
<<<< never allow your bearded dragon to be exposed to temperatures higher than 43 degC (109F)
<<<< see this for reasons why : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516
>>>> 46 degC and above is LETHAL temperature range for bearded dragons
>>>> temperature above 44 degC is critical and dangerous to beardied dragons
>>>> 41 - 44 degC is a temperature range outside a bearded dragon's comfort zone they will not voluntarily stay there and will be frantically seeking shade or a cooler place

If he's dark , he is most likely too cool and trying to warm up. Check your zone temperatures and basking spot temperature using an ACCURATE digital thermometer.

the cool side is under 85F, the substrate isn't too dirty [which is almost impossible to clean if the substrate is sand]), I wouldn't worry too much about the beardie's coloration unless they're showing other signs of illness: not pooping/eating regularly, black bearding, frequent coughing, etc. Bearded dragon "stress lines" aren't actually the best indicator of stress, sometimes they just show up. They usually darken themselves in order to soak up more light/heat, so maybe it would help to raise the temps a little bit or switch out the UVB bulb if it's nearing the end of its 6-month life. (Also, if your UVB isn't a fluorescent tube Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12%, keep in mind that other UVB bulbs have a reputation of not emitting a reliable amount of UVB.)

Savora

Hatchling Member
kingofnobbys":355qfiph said:
Savora":355qfiph said:
Hi! Aside from making sure something in the viv hadn't changed (like the UVB bulb hasn't exceeded its 6-month life, the basking temps are staying in the appropriate ranges of 100-115F,
<<<< BAD ADVICE !!!
>>>> 115F (46 degC) WAY TOO HOT !!!
<<<< never allow your bearded dragon to be exposed to temperatures higher than 43 degC (109F)
<<<< see this for reasons why : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516
>>>> 46 degC and above is LETHAL temperature range for bearded dragons
>>>> temperature above 44 degC is critical and dangerous to beardied dragons
>>>> 41 - 44 degC is a temperature range outside a bearded dragon's comfort zone they will not voluntarily stay there and will be frantically seeking shade or a cooler place

If he's dark , he is most likely too cool and trying to warm up. Check your zone temperatures and basking spot temperature using an ACCURATE digital thermometer.

the cool side is under 85F, the substrate isn't too dirty [which is almost impossible to clean if the substrate is sand]), I wouldn't worry too much about the beardie's coloration unless they're showing other signs of illness: not pooping/eating regularly, black bearding, frequent coughing, etc. Bearded dragon "stress lines" aren't actually the best indicator of stress, sometimes they just show up. They usually darken themselves in order to soak up more light/heat, so maybe it would help to raise the temps a little bit or switch out the UVB bulb if it's nearing the end of its 6-month life. (Also, if your UVB isn't a fluorescent tube Reptisun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12%, keep in mind that other UVB bulbs have a reputation of not emitting a reliable amount of UVB.)

Ah, my bad. I thought that baby beardies needed a 5-10 degree hotter basking spot than adult beardies. In any case, it's important that your beardie has the option of a gradient of temperature to be in.

KDPleger

Original Poster
i appreciate both of your input. Temps are good. Not quite 115 :) but around 103. He's doing better. I'm just a nervous beardie mommy, especially during this baby stage.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom