Is this safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightshade87

One of my beardies has a fungal infection. Her behavior is normal, eats well, eliminates normally, just keeps having a hard time shedding (could be because of the fungus) I was looking into treating her myself before freaking out and running her to the nearest vet. I read a lot of information that people are having success stories without needing to use oral drugs. Anyway my question is, is "veterinary formula clinic care antiseptic and antifungal spray" safe? I was going to do daily soaks with nolvasan and apply lamisil 2x day (morning and night) but when I searched for nearest place to get nolvasan the spray mentioned about popped up and I already own it (I have dogs too) so can I use this on a beardie?
Specs: female rescue roughly 2 years old. UVB, ceramic heater, 40 breeder, tile no sand, calcium powder supplements, mixed home made salad daily. Protein crickets or superworms (mostly crickets) 20 crickets every other day.... she came from a bad situation 2 years ago and looked about 5 months old when I got her. Her housing was improper, way too small, and improper nutrition. She could be older I do not know.
Thank you for reading.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which type of fungal infection is it? CANV (yellow fungus)? If so, then the most successful treatments I've seen consist of a combination of topical antifungal treatment and oral antifungal treatment. Voriconizole has shown to be a pretty effective oral treatment and can be ordered by your vet from a compounding pharmacy such as Diamondback Drugs. I haven't seen the spray you have so I'm not sure if that will be effective or harmful if applied to the skin.

Nightshade87

Original Poster
CooperDragon":rs4cn7gw said:
Which type of fungal infection is it? CANV (yellow fungus)? If so, then the most successful treatments I've seen consist of a combination of topical antifungal treatment and oral antifungal treatment. Voriconizole has shown to be a pretty effective oral treatment and can be ordered by your vet from a compounding pharmacy such as Diamondback Drugs. I haven't seen the spray you have so I'm not sure if that will be effective or harmful if applied to the skin.

Thank you for your reply. I do think it may be CANV. I'm new to the site so I don't know how to post a picture or I would. There is definitely fungus on her. She has big patches of black on her back but no open wounds yet so I'm hoping I caught it early enough. She acts like nothing is wrong, which is good, however I want to start a treatment sooner than later.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them by using the XIMG button when you reply. I would look into getting some voriconizole and get her started on that as well as the topical treatment. You may also want to pick up some F10 disinfectant which has been shown in some studies to be effective at treating yellow fungus when applied to the skin.

Nightshade87

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2qkoi9gp said:
You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them by using the XIMG button when you reply. I would look into getting some voriconizole and get her started on that as well as the topical treatment. You may also want to pick up some F10 disinfectant which has been shown in some studies to be effective at treating yellow fungus when applied to the skin.

Ok thank You! She's uploaded now
94522-8041355801.jpg

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I would not mess around with this at all, I'd have her at only an experienced reptile vet IMMEDIATELY. Some fungal infections grow both externally and INTERNALLY, so topical meds either don't help at all, or they seem to help, and then the fungus comes back with a vengeance because it's been growing internally the entire time. And if you mess around with over-the-counter topical antifungals without getting a skin scraping test done, it may be spreading internally and making her more and more sick to the point that nothing is going to help. She needs to see an experienced reptile vet ASAP for a skin scraping test to diagnose this before it gets out of control, and she becomes lethargic, loses her appetite, or worse.

Nightshade87

Original Poster
EllenD":1rxub3r4 said:
I would not mess around with this at all, I'd have her at only an experienced reptile vet IMMEDIATELY. Some fungal infections grow both externally and INTERNALLY, so topical meds either don't help at all, or they seem to help, and then the fungus comes back with a vengeance because it's been growing internally the entire time. And if you mess around with over-the-counter topical antifungals without getting a skin scraping test done, it may be spreading internally and making her more and more sick to the point that nothing is going to help. She needs to see an experienced reptile vet ASAP for a skin scraping test to diagnose this before it gets out of control, and she becomes lethargic, loses her appetite, or worse.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was kind of leaning the same way. I bought antifungal cream but got nervous about trying to play Dr when I'm not 100% sure WHAT this is, CANV? Some other type of fungal? Etc. I'll make the appointment. I probably won't be able to get in until at least Friday but at least it's better than me mistreating her. thanks guys. I've never had to deal with this with any of my beardies. Thank goodness for separate housandry, separate everything (baths included).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Nightshade87":2ojai52g said:
EllenD":2ojai52g said:

Thank you so much for your reply. I was kind of leaning the same way. I bought antifungal cream but got nervous about trying to play Dr when I'm not 100% sure WHAT this is, CANV? Some other type of fungal? Etc. I'll make the appointment. I probably won't be able to get in until at least Friday but at least it's better than me mistreating her. thanks guys. I've never had to deal with this with any of my beardies. Thank goodness for separate housandry, separate everything (baths included).

I think that's very wise .... make sure the vet is a reptile vet , here's a list of reptile vets : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=234369&p=1803862&hilit=melissa#p1803862

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom