im a happy new beardie owner but???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think half the problem is the clutter in the viv.

Too easy for the bugs to scurry away and hide, and too hard for him to keep track of them if he is fed in the viv, and taking him out to feed in a separate tub is not working for him - it's only serving to stress him. + impaction risks from the mulch

So either remove all the clutter and make the existing viv as Spartan as possible (for now) and deny the bugs their hiding places and feed him in the viv
or
move him to a 100L rearing tub that set up very Spartan and move his hide, his dish and stick with him so he has familiar objects and keep and feed him in this for a few months to get him so he's thriving. see this for how I set up my rearing tubs : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480
and / or
start hand/assist feeding see : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=235583 ... at least this way you will know he's eating.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I agree with Knobbys and AHBD, a bioactive enclosure is just not good for a small baby. If you have an adult and want to kerp them in it then it's your business, but it isn't similar to their natural habitat at all, but that's not the issue right now, he's extremely small and thin, and obviously your bioactive tank isn't working for him. That's not meant as a criticism, but rather just an observation of fact, as he's not well and it's not working.

They like to eat inside their enclosures, it rarely works to feed them in a separate tub, especially if they're already weak and stressed. The bioactive tank is way too overwhelming for a baby that size, he's terribly stressed by the tank and obviously will not eat outside of it. So it's time to give him a nice, clean, sparse enclosure with tile on the floor, a basking platform, etc. and feed him inside it. He'll lose the stress of that tank, and be able to eat inside his home. You have nothing to lose by trying a conventional enclosure for him, nothing else is working. If you want to put him back in that bioactive tank when he's a thriving adult then so be it, but right now you need to try it the other way because you may lose him if you don't.

james1989

Original Poster
got him better i took him to a person that rescued them and she said since it was so soon that the problems started way befor i got him im going to change up his viv she has him now nursing him ill i work on his cage wont never get a pet from petsmart again and i would not ever recomind any way please dont yell at me or insute me im new

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's good James, you're doing a good thing for him and you are not at fault in any way at all. The pet stores are supposed to be the experts but they sell these tiny babies instead of at least getting them in + growing them a bit bigger before selling them.

You made a beautiful home for him, put lots of thought in to it and wanted the best for your new little guy/girl. Hopefully he'll recuperate some and you'll be ready to have him start out in an enclosure that he can thrive in while he's still small, then you can move up to a bioactive tank when he's a bit bigger + hardier . No one should insult you at all, you're trying to help the little creature. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep ... good job .... now you can really focus on making his home right while he's with the rescue carer .

Don't forget to visit him everyday so you and he can get know each other .... you might even learn a few valuable pointers from the carer which will stand you in good sted should you ever need it.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
No criticism at all, you did the right thing and got him help, and you now realize that the bioactive tank isn't best for a little baby and are changing his enclosure to a normal beardie enclosure. All signs of a very responsible beardie owner, and we appreciate that. If you need any help or advice setting up his new enclosure just ask. And also, you're much better off financially if you order your dubias online in bulk, it's much cheaper and you can set up recurring shipments. www.dubiaroaches.com has fantastic prices and shipping, I have ordered my BSFL from them as their prices are amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom