Open mouth basking/Dark beard and back

Status
Not open for further replies.

audreyjb

Hi! I'm a new beardie owner. i just got my dragon, khaleesi, yesterday. she is a female and i'm just a little confused. first of all, is it normal for them to flare up over small things? i am not too concerned because everything including me is brand new to her. she likes for me to pet and hold her but when i got home today and took her out her beard was dark, and after a bit she ended up puffing her beard out and opening her mouth. i waited for her to calm down and then i put her back in her enclosure and turned the heatlamp on. she is now under it and her beard and back seems to be very dark and her mouth is open. she is about a year and a half years old. i read it's normal for them to be darker and have open mouths but i am worried and wonder if my situation sounds familiar to anyone else. she is usually very sweet and calm and only became angry towards her previous owner a number of times.

audreyjb

Original Poster
she seems much calmer and happier now. but please let me know if this has happened to anyone!! thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like something startled her. Shouldn't be a long term problem at all. Did you move quickly around her or pick her up quickly? Was there anything outside the tank that may have scared her like a ceiling fan or another animal?

audreyjb

Original Poster
CooperDragon":26rgsvpy said:
It sounds like something startled her. Shouldn't be a long term problem at all. Did you move quickly around her or pick her up quickly? Was there anything outside the tank that may have scared her like a ceiling fan or another animal?

the only thing i can think of is i pet her chin a little and she licked my finger. she hadn't done that to me before so i jerked my hand back. i may have picked her up a little quick but it's the same pace i always do and i can't see that upsetting her.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The lick is a good sign, that's curiosity. Perhaps the quick movement startled her. She should calm down in a bit and be fine after that if this is the case.

audreyjb

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1drl5hka said:
The lick is a good sign, that's curiosity. Perhaps the quick movement startled her. She should calm down in a bit and be fine after that if this is the case.
she's on my shoulder falling asleep now ;) just took a while of basking and a little bit of exploring. thank you so much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom