My story with Broly

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey everyone!

I'll make it clear, I don't need help and Im not a good writer. I'll get to the point. I also have Asperger's Syndrome so I'll stop myself from rambling about unimportant stuff.

So I've had dragons for 13 years. In my years of having dragons, I have never ever had THIS problem. Ok, so Broly is 2 years old very healthy with over $1000 of vet bills. Why?
Because he's inbred. Don't get the wrong idea I love him to bits. In his first year, he had pinworms, treated. They messed up his GI tract to the point he takes enzyme meds because he doesn't produce enough "juices" to digest. Thats fine and all. I'm posting to tell owners that parasites arent always to blame for runny stools. If they smell bad then yes, parasites. Here's the actual story sorry...so he's had runny stools for as long as I can remember. We had sooo many vet visits it's crazy. We found out in an xray he has a KINK in his loop of Henle. So we were advised to partially dry salads. We have to give gout meds to help kidneys, give water with a tiny bit of sea salt to help electrolytes. We do this forever. We were advised to add pumpkin to his diet to keep things flowing or he'd stop up. So in other words, he's always gonna have runny stools because of inbred and in turn kink in his loop. He's a happy boy even with all the problems he has.

I just wanted to share my experience and maybe it helps people in the similar problems and can't find the issue. Im sorry if it's a lot. I hope it makes sense. Yes! This was all advised by an experienced reptile vet! It's a rare issue and not everyone will have what I do. It's more of a warning to inbred reptiles. People decided to inbreed and this is what I deal with every single day. Oh he also has MBD don't worry we got that under control! He's better now. Kinks in his tail but it's been halted for the most part. He's 2 yrs old, 20" long 508g and a Seattle Seahawk fan!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You forgot to add that he's very popular on bd.org with a long running blog on beardie tales. :) Almost always near the top of the tales. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Haha, yes, thats true! Usually it's a friend of mine or my posts. It's only the two of us rambling about other stuff there not just dragons. Thank you for noticing!

I did forget to mention it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's an interesting case too. I wonder how common/widespread it really is. Was it easy to detect on an x-ray or were further diagnostics required?

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hi Cooper!

We had 10 different blood tests and CT scans. Nobody could figure it out. We took to the vet school and they had advanced technology there. We did a detailed xray down by the kidneys and saw this tiny kink. It looked to be a knot in his system. It's a kink because a knot wouldnt let him use the bathroom. It wasn't easy to diagnose at first.

As to how widespread it is, they saw a gecko with two kinks. It's gettin dangerous with inbred dragons or just any animal really. It's sad really. I had to put my exp up.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good to know, thanks for sharing. If I see folks on here reporting similar symptoms I'll keep the x-ray of the kidney area in mind as a possible avenue to explore.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kamie,

Thanks for the story. It is amazing how far he has come. I'm glad you kept on digging until
you found out the culprit of his problems. Broly is a lucky guy! He has sure done well now
once you got him all fixed up! :D

Tracie

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Never thought I'd use this thread as it wasnt anything to go on.

New problem has risen.

So my boy has arthritis thanks to ongoing mbd! I've started serrapeptase. He does have flare ups where one leg would shake. Wait a few months then another leg etc. I think you get it. He is under an arcadia light. It's not the uv or tank. No pics to show anything but I was wondering has anyone heard this before? We had a exp reptile vet look him over and realized all legs stiff. He's had it since day 1 from Petco 2015. I thought nothing of it as he's never shown pain. He does get around and we're being proactive as he will probably get arthritis in the future. Mbd induced arthritis. Stiff joints in all four legs.

He's really a special needs guy. He takes enzymes, gout med and now serrapeptase. Kidney problem with arthritis on all four joints. Luckily, he has me as his slave to go and do all of these special meds and such for him. I'll update every day on progress if anyone is interested in this weird case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom