Worried about possible parasite

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I brought home my baby beardie who's about 6 months old almost three weeks ago, and nugget is settling in pretty well. Nugget was pooping normally and it looked normal and everything until about a day ago. Now it looks like there are tiny bits and pieces of orange stuff and it makes me worry because this is my first beardie and I don't want Nugget to be sick. Nugget has been eating a diet of small crickets everyday, celery (I remove the stringy parts of it and cut into small pieces), apple, and occasionally kale(nugget loves kale). I fed nugget carrots about three days in a row, so I thought his partially orange poo was from carrots, so I stopped feeding carrots to see, however, even though I'm not giving carrots, his poo still has orange chunks in it....someone plz tell me if I should be worried!! Should I go to the vet and get a poo sample??
93470-7156602479.jpg

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Can you possibly post a photo of Nugget, as well as of her entire enclosure and lighting? Is there anything inside of her enclosure, like plastic plants, that she could chew on and swallow? What substrate is in the bottom of her enclosure? How long has this orange coloring been in her poop, and has it been constant?

Usually eating carrots won't cause their poop to turn orange, as they digest the carrots to the point that they no longer appear separate in their poop. So obviously you worry about her either eating something else in her enclosure, or actual blood...One more thing, celery and kale are not appropriate veggies for bearded dragons, celery has zero nutritional value, it's basically all water, and Kale, while having a high Calcium content, also unfortunately has a very high oxalate content, which once eaten binds with any and all available free Calcium in her system, making the calcium unavailable for her to absorb, which can lead to bone density issues. Spinach and romaine lettuce both do the same thing. You want to feed greens high in Calcium but low in oxalates, like collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens, bok choy, chard, arugula, endive, and escarole...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What are you feeding the crickets with ?

.... I have a hunch it's something that's undesireable and this is accumulating in the beardie's gut and showing up in his poos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom