Fecal matter causing concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Our recent rescue, Elliot has been having odd poops. They are green which we attribute to maybe his salad the urates look fine but there are small pieces of super worm in it. They are 90% digested I'd say but some shell is still there. They are also quite runny.

We got him from a reptile vet which said they had checked him out and said he was healthy but non of our other guys have this issue.

His main diet is super worms, horn worms and salad. His temps are 102 at his basking spot and has a reptisun 10.0 t5 HO.

He is quite active and runs around like normal he had had mbd at one point but seems ok now we are just concerned about the undigested supers and what might cause it. He spends a good 2 or more hours basking after eating. Any help would be appreciated.

I poked at it with a stick a bit because I was concerned >_<

93064-5592561676.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He may be getting excess water from the hornworms or just getting an upset stomach from one of the food items. Some adjustments to his diet may help with that. If he's having trouble digesting the supers, I'd cut back on them. If it's just a little bit of their shell passing through I wouldn't worry about that too much. It's still best to use supers as a treat and not offer too many in one go.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thank you for the information.

I added a bunch of butternut squash into his salad today to see if that helps.

I was also wondering about the hornworms, as I keep reading conflicting information about them being used as a staple. None of my Dragons will eat crickets and we cant get roaches in Canada. Also with the silkworms we have as source here but more often than not they die more quickly than I can get them fed to my Dragons, So I have started a hornworm colony in the hopes of using them in rotation with the superworms and salad as a staple.

Some people say its ok and some say only to feed hornworms a few times a month. The nutritional charts I've read make it seem that they would be an ok staple feeder, as they are not high in fat, just maybe a little low in protein.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think it would be a problem to use them as a staple protein if that's what you have available. How old is Elliot? After about 12-18 months they should be on mostly salads anyway so if you can provide lots of variety in a salad every day, it would be down to 1 or 2 hornworm meals per week anyway.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Were not sure how old he is, he was an adoption from our vet that someone had left there, so our vet wasnt sure how old exactly other than he is deffinetly full grown, I'd say over 3 years old for sure.

I am doing my best to get them all on to mainly salads now. I mix a small bug meal in the salads every other day now. Blueberries are helping too.

Anyways good to know about the hornworms, thank you for the help, it is appreciated :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK cool if he's an adult I'd keep focusing on those salads. A good variety will keep him happy and healthy once he is used to them as his main food source. That makes the protein offered much less critical. I definitely know it can be tough to get them into a new routine though. Once you find some favorites it will help a lot. My guy goes nuts for squash so he gets a bit of squash of one kind or another in just about every salad while I rotate everything else around with whatever is fresh at the store or farmers market.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah i will be doing a lot of experimenting veggie wise, he wasn't to enthused about the squash today but I did manage to get some into him, he loves blueberries and bright coloured things so I think im going to try red peppers mixed in next maybe some green beans too.

All of our Dragons are so different we have one that eats salad over bugs, one that wont touch salad unless there are bugs in it and then Elliot who seems to like both depending whats in the salad lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom