Newly Acquired Beardy Not Pooping

Status
Not open for further replies.

snkjohnson

Hi Beardy experts! We are first time pet owners, just got a beardy from someone who had rescued her. So we don't know how old she is. She is about 16 inches long head to tail. We got her 8 days ago and she has not pooped yet. She spends a lot of her day under the basking light (uva and uvb bulb plus a basking bulb). She loves superworms and has had two feedings of those (10-12 each time) in the last week (so, about 22 superworms total), and she has eaten a little mustard greens and cucumbers in between (doesn't seem to love those though...any tips on getting her to eat them?). She's also had a few dried crickets. We've giver her a couple of warm baths. She isn't particularly active but is alert and awake during the day.

Any ideas as to why she hasn't pooped yet??

Thank you in advance!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I hate to tell you this but, superworms are only to be fed to adults(16" or longer) and, then only as snacks (one or two at a time) maybe 3x a month. Their exoskeletons are to hard to digest. Your dragon has eaten 160 of them in 8 days, she is most likely impacted.
To get him to poop, you will have to get some olive oil in him somehow. I have to trick mine into taking it. I put drops on wax worms to get her to ingest it, this helps her pass it. You can also give her a lukewarm bath and rub her tummy, this also works sometimes. I am sure someone else will come along with other remedies as well.

snkjohnson

Original Poster
Thank you for your quick response!! She has only actually had about 22 worms, she had 12-12 only twice in the last week. Sorry, I didn't explain that very clearly. I'll edit it. The owners we bought her from said they fed her superworms one day, greens/veggies the next, and then nothing the third day, then repeat. They said she has been super healthy so I assumed that it would be fine to continue her on the same diet. Also, I just measured her and turns out I'm terrible at estimating, she is actually about 16-17 inches head to tail. I've been reading up on superworms and it seems split 50/50 as to whether or not beardies should eat them as a staple. I'm confused!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
snkjohnson":37y169zn said:
No, she has only had about 22 worms, she had 12-12 only twice in the last week. Sorry, I didn't explain that very clearly. The owners we bought her from said they fed her superworms one day, greens/veggies the next, and then nothing the third day, then repeat. They said she has been super healthy so I assumed that it would be fine to continue her on the same diet. I've been reading up on superworms and it seems split 50/50 as to whether or not beardies should eat them.
OK, I misunderstood what you were saying, lol! My dragon will hold it for 5 or 6 days at a time. I honestly think she does it to make bigger mess for my wife to clean up, lmao!!! She won't poop when she sees I'm at home, lol!
I would still do the bath thing to see if it will make her go.
They need live bugs for hydration. I got away from crickets because of parasite concerns a while back. I switched to Dubai roaches because there is 3x more nutrition in them and, no parasites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom