Baby not eating enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weebtrash

Hello, I just got a baby bearded dragon about 5 days ago, on the 13th of March. It is now the 18th of March and he has only eaten 2 Meal Worms, and about 5 or so Crickets, he still seems hungry though because when I show him the crickets in the cricket keeper he tries to eat them but can't because they are behind the glass. But when I put him in a separate container with crickets, or even in his enclosure with all the items out he only ate 1 but ignored all others. And when I took him out again he tried to eat them through the glass again. His basking spot on his tower of rocks is about 100 degrees and is hot to the touch, and his cool area is around 80 degrees. He has pooped twice since I got him, but I would like to know if he is eating enough and if this is normal or not. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
No mealworms for a young beardie, they are junk food.

1) weigh him in grams.

2) photos of setup and of lights

3) how are you measuring the tank temperatures (are you using one of those useless round dial analog thermometers OR something else) ?

4) distance from basking light ?

5) mesh top ? lights ontop of mesh ?

What exact lights do you have in his tank ? (Basking ? and UV ?)

When do the lights turn on ? off ?

What is the feeding schedule ?

Often beardie hatchlings will refuse to eat in a feeding tub , best to leave the hatchling in his tank and offer his live bugs to him 2 or 3 at a time by dropping where he can see them and can easily catch them , and keep doing this until he looses interest in them .

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Try putting them in one at a time and, make sure they are small enough for him to eat. He might be getting intimidated by a bunch of bugs all at one time, especially with the relocation stress going on as well. When he settles in (could take another week or so) he should be eating up to 30 small crickets twice a day, babies have huge appetites. Rule of thumb, give him as many as he can eat in a 10 minute period or until he stops. Do this twice a day but do not feed them anything after 2hrs before lights out, this gives them time to bask and digest a meal.
Also No more mealworms these are bad for any dragon! Their exoskeletons are hard to digest causing impaction, which causes paralysis and, sometimes even death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom