Chubby has been walking funny, any reason to why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
Please forgive me if I have done something wrong while raising my beardie. We got him on Dec.24 2016. The pet store at first told me I didn't have to buy the calcium dust. Also the tank they sold me with the lights that came with it never got higher then 90 degrees. After reading a bunch on the site I've changed everything. I bought two more lights one being a black light 75w, also "neodymium basking bulb 150w. The tank now is between 95-110. The uvb bulb that came with the tank was to small for me so I bought the Zilla slimline desert fixture 50 UVB t8 fluorescent bulb. About three weeks ago I start to dust my crickets with the Repti Calcium every 2-3 feeding. My uvb light use to sit at the top of the tank but now I hve it hanging inside about 12inches from the ground. Btw way chubby is in a 40 gallon tank.
Okay let's get to his walk. About a week and a half ago chubby started moving like he was swimming instead of actually using his limbs. His right arm just kinda laid by his side and his back legs wouldn't move at all. I read that he could be impacted. I cut him off crickets now for a week. And I helped him poop after not seeing anything for three days. He's moving a little more but still minding dragging his belly. Could he be recovering or am I looking at MBD. I just wanna help this little guy as much as I can. He gets really happy when I hand feed him his baby food squash and water. But he's just not the same active whose.
Please help.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Mariam1310":3cm9pbct said:
Hello everyone,
Please forgive me if I have done something wrong while raising my beardie. We got him on Dec.24 2016. The pet store at first told me I didn't have to buy the calcium dust. Also the tank they sold me with the lights that came with it never got higher then 90 degrees. After reading a bunch on the site I've changed everything. I bought two more lights one being a black light 75w,<<<< Those black light globes and tubes are useless for beardied dragons , to provide sufficient UVA AND UVB you need to install either (depending on the footprint and height of the tank a
-- UVB200 either in a NanoHood (with building reflector) or dome style reflector (small tanks about 90 - 130L and no taller than 450mm)
-- or a T8 10%-14% UVB rated tube like a Arcadia or similar with a reflector behind the tube (for tanks that are not very tall (under 400mm)
-- or a T5 10%-14% UVB rated tube like an Arcadia or similar with a reflector behind the tube (suits tanks up to 600mm tall)
and /or a good quality 80 - 130W MVB (whuch will provide copious white light, UVA and UVB and heat , IT WILL REQUIRE A GOOD QUALITY CERAMIC E27 socket.
DO NOT MOUNT the UV light ONTOP a screen or mesh top, as the mesh will block more than 25% of the UV.

Ditch the black light .
They are meant to be used as novalties at parties effect at parties (of clothes glowing).

also "neodymium basking bulb 150w.
<<<< Neodymium bulbs are OK but NOT AS GOOD AS MVBs.
The tank now is between 95-110. The uvb bulb that came with the tank was to small for me so I bought the Zilla slimline desert fixture 50 UVB t8 fluorescent bulb. <<< I believe Zilla 50 UVB T8 tubes are only rated at 5% UVB , this is inadequate for bearded dragons , who require as a bare minimum 10% UVB .
About three weeks ago I start to dust my crickets with the Repti Calcium every 2-3 feeding. My uvb light use to sit at the top of the tank but now I hve it hanging inside about 12inches from the ground. <<< 12" from the basking spot for a T8 tube , it too far (even if it were a 10% or as good as a 14% UVB tube.

Btw way chubby is in a 40 gallon tank.
Okay let's get to his walk. About a week and a half ago chubby started moving like he was swimming instead of actually using his limbs. His right arm just kinda laid by his side and his back legs wouldn't move at all. I read that he could be impacted. I cut him off crickets now for a week. And I helped him poop after not seeing anything for three days. He's moving a little more but still minding dragging his belly. Could he be recovering or am I looking at MBD. I just wanna help this little guy as much as I can. He gets really happy when I hand feed him his baby food squash and water. But he's just not the same active whose.
Please help.
Chubby is a baby I assume , (a hatchling / juvenile) , he requires a minimum of two feeds of live insects per day ( three feeds per day is even better) because he needs lots of insect protein, and dietary calcium (you should be dusting LIGHTLY all his insects as well as gut loading the crickets with high quality calcium rich greens and vegs to grow and develop properly and become a big healthy and strong adult beardie.

He may be suffering from lack of UVB and malnutrition and might have hurt his arm somehow in his tank.

The priority feedingwise for young dragons who are in the prime of their growth stage is LOTS of live HIGH QUALITY BUGS AT LEAST TWICE PER DAY , and A LONG PHOTOPERIOD (I use 16 hrs as my standard for my lizards) , maximum UVA (to encourage activity and appetite) and maximum UVB to help them metabolise their dietary calcium , and plenty of heat (I aim for a basking spot temp of 40degC).
Best feeder insects are
>> BSF maggots
>> silkworms (a 6week old hatchling can handle 8 or more small silkworms (1.5" long) or up to 4 medium silkworms (about 2" long)
>> small (NOT PINHEAD) crickets (at 5 weeks old my hatchlings are on 1/3 size crickets)
>> or small roaches (similar size as above).
if you hatchling/juvenile likes his greens and grated vegs that's a bonus but hold back on these until later in the day so he will eat his bugs as there is little or no protein in greens and vegs.

The more your beardie eats , the more frequently he''ll need to poo, hatchlings and juveniles who fed properly and kept under good conditions will commonly poo daily, sometimes twice per day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom