Possible eye problems? Young dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just had another quick question about my new dragon, Nico. Me and my girlfriend have been noticing that he winks quite often (I hesitate in calling it winking because he keeps the one eye closed for longer than a wink usually uses) and does it often when basking and when being held or petted.

I read a few things and seem to get 2 messages from what has been posted...either its just a beardie quirk or its an eye issue due to lighting. So I figured I would ask the experts here what they think.

Posted below is his setup, 20L tank (30x12x12). UVB is a reptisun 10.0 18 inch bulb, which sits about 7 inches from his basking spot. He can get closer if he climbs all the way up his little aloe plant, but he doesnt do it often. I also use a 200W regular house bulb (incandescent). I know 200w is high but it is on a dimmer switch about halfway up to reach a basking temp of 100-110 depending on the spot. Sometimes it gets to 112 or 114. I use a digital thermometer with probe and a temp gun.

I dont see any crust or swelling or irritation, and he did recently shed part of his face and his tail. Any insights?

edit: cool side is around 78-81 and warm side is roughly 89-94 with basking temps ranging from 100-114
90564-2392931627.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The setup looks fine to me. As long as you are using a digital probe to measure temperatures & the basking light is on a dimmer that should keep it from getting too hot.
The Reptisun 10 tube, is that mounted on the back wall or underneath of the screen top, overhead?
It's hard to tell from the picture.
Could he have scratched his eye when he was shedding?
You could get some sterile saline solution to use for his eye, to flush it out daily.

Tracie

travisgould

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! It's mounted on the back wall inside the tank :). I'm not sure if he scratched his eye... It was just a little shed mostly around the mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom