Caring for a BD with Severe MBD...tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

val123

Hi there,

I work with a rescue organization and this will be my first time caring for a bearded dragon in such bad shape.

The vet said he had the worst case of MBD she has ever seen. His mouth stays open due to malformed jaws...he's very thin...has issues moving his limbs...has no interest in food... and is currently being treated with calcium injections, then liquid calcium as well as critical care food. I will know more after he comes home with me.

Does anyone have experience working with a beardie that is in such a sad state?

Hopefully the link will allow you to view some pics-

https://www.facebook.com/valentine....649357.1073741829.508719356&type=3&uploaded=4

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Val.....the pics did not show up, try using this to post pics here :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Severe MBD is hard to deal with and can't be reversed. It can be kept from getting worse but when it's severe it greatly affects the quality of life. The worst is when there are spinal deformities , lumps, crooked and twisted legs. Hopefully he's not quite tat bad.

How often is he getting injections ? Be careful of that, they can cause a whole other set of problems if the injction sites get infected or cause the poor guy too much pain. Liquid calcium and getting him in the sun [ weather permitting ] is the way to go.

val123

Original Poster
AHBD":3kc00fqo said:
Hi Val.....the pics did not show up, try using this to post pics here :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

Severe MBD is hard to deal with and can't be reversed. It can be kept from getting worse but when it's severe it greatly affects the quality of life. The worst is when there are spinal deformities , lumps, crooked and twisted legs. Hopefully he's not quite tat bad.

How often is he getting injections ? Be careful of that, they can cause a whole other set of problems if the injction sites get infected or cause the poor guy too much pain. Liquid calcium and getting him in the sun [ weather permitting ] is the way to go.

UGH! OKAY 3rd time is a charm! (not figuring out this forum stuff and pics...keeps deleting my post LOL)

Okay so the little guy does not seem as bad as you described-- spine seems straight :) His arms are bowed...and his jaw is deformed. He has been holding his head up today and was eating the critical care stuff very well with water drips through the day. He appears to want to "run around", but with all the effort he puts out he sadly doesn't get very far. He is able to change positions to bask, and is able to get himself in and out of his hide.

As for the injections-- they are "fluids" and are given under the care of a vet. The injections are given 1x daily or every other day as I see fit. A new needle is used each time, and an alcohol swab is used before the injection. He takes the injection very well...no flinching or anything (unlike myself ...makes he nauseated lol).

As for the sun... well it's winter here in Canada lol... he has a brand new UVB arcadia bulb (and heat).

Here are two pics:

90165-4617715813.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, what a beautiful little leatherback. Such a striking pattern. :) There's definite deformity of the arms + a bit of the jaws but thankfully the back doesn't seem to be affected, at least not much. It's great that he likes the Critical Care ! He will get plenty of hydration if you mix a bit of extra water with it and/or offer drops orally. You really won't need repeated injections as long as he's drinking.

You have an excellent uvb bulb so that will all help him. :)

val123

Original Poster
AHBD":1rgt5kpb said:
Aw, what a beautiful little leatherback. Such a striking pattern. :) There's definite deformity of the arms + a bit of the jaws but thankfully the back doesn't seem to be affected, at least not much. It's great that he likes the Critical Care ! He will get plenty of hydration if you mix a bit of extra water with it and/or offer drops orally. You really won't need repeated injections as long as he's drinking.

You have an excellent uvb bulb so that will all help him. :)

Thank you :) he is very handsome! Still unbelievable that someone would pay good money for an animal and completely neglect it. :cry:

I will keep an eye on the hydration.. he's just so flat... just skin and bones.

I gave a wax worm today while feeding..and he gulped it up (I removed the head just prior to giving)... it happened so fast I'm not sure if he even chewed. I know wax worms are fatty..and he certainly could use more fat. I will be waiting to see his poop tomorrow to see if he digested it. Do you think this is a good idea? I have other feeders too...but wax are squishy and fatty so I decided to go for it.

Thanks! And here is a picture of his jaw-

90165-6998128434.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yes, his jaw has been affected quite a bit but it's really a good sign that he's eager to eat. A few waxworms are fine. You can just squih the head rather than remove it to be sure it's incapacitated or dead. Other soft bodied insects are O.K, [ 1-2 at a time ] freshly shed superworms with the head crushed and partially cut in half [ for easier digestion ] or anything small that has just shed.

It's still good to make sure he gets the Carnivore Care supplement so he can get the vit. + minerals he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom