Droopy Eyes & Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeann

Hey guys! I'm a little worried about my dragon Averath (He knows himself as Avery for short :D) because very suddenly he is lethargic and won't eat. I spoke to the reptile person at my local feed/grain/pet store, and she thinks he is getting ready to brumate. He did eat one of his crickets; I've saved the rest for another time. He also get a black beard when I take him out of his tank, but he isn't showing any signs of aggression (he's a cuddler).

He is also shedding, so I suppose it's possible that he's grouchy and mopey in general, but I think brumating sounds the most likely. What do you guys think?

Another issue that is a little more concerning to me is that he has kind of droopy bottom eyelids. I've seen other topics on the issue that suggest everything from dehydration, to kidney problems, to vitamin deficiency. Here are some pics, the first one is how he normally looks and the second is how he looks now:
89624-1257835217.jpg
89624-8567709946.jpg

Some info/context: I found him in my mom's garden (we're in TX) in November just before the temps started falling. We guess escapee or someone set him loose when they didn't want him anymore. He's about 13-14 inches long, and herp vets and my herp professor from university think he's probably between 9 months to 1 year, but they say it's hard to tell because we don't know where he came from or what his living conditions were like that could influence his size.

Tank info:
-20 gal (I know I need to upgrade soon; it was an impulse buy because I had just caught him and needed somewhere to put him)
-100W daytime basking bulb, 100W moonlight basking bulb for at night.
-10.0 UVB, recently switched over from the 5.0 that came with his tank when I was told the 5 was more for the babies.
-Temps are normally between 95-105 on the warm side and 78-84 on the cool side.

I don't really suspect dehydration because he's bathed regularly and gets a good amount of greens, and his urates/stools are a normal consistency, but the one thread with the comment about kidney problems worries me :(

Keeann

Original Poster
UPDATE:

So it's about 4 hours later, and his eyes are very puffy. He wasn't happy that I woke him up to check on him, but he seems so miserable :( This is the first time I'm seeing it for real, but I think he's just having an eye-pop. I noticed a couple days ago that his little neck seemed kind of fat, but it's gone back to normal now, so maybe he was building up pressure?

His beard is still pretty black, but he's not aggressive at all, so he still just seems uncomfortable. If it really is just an eye-pop, is there anything I can do to make him feel better? :( (Besides not bothering him while he's sleeping, lol)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Keeann":1rchbd6v said:
Hey guys! I'm a little worried about my dragon Averath (He knows himself as Avery for short :D) because very suddenly he is lethargic and won't eat. I spoke to the reptile person at my local feed/grain/pet store, and she thinks he is getting ready to brumate. He did eat one of his crickets; I've saved the rest for another time. He also get a black beard when I take him out of his tank, but he isn't showing any signs of aggression (he's a cuddler).

He is also shedding, so I suppose it's possible that he's grouchy and mopey in general, but I think brumating sounds the most likely. What do you guys think?

Another issue that is a little more concerning to me is that he has kind of droopy bottom eyelids. I've seen other topics on the issue that suggest everything from dehydration, to kidney problems, to vitamin deficiency. Here are some pics, the first one is how he normally looks and the second is how he looks now:
89624-1257835217.jpg
89624-8567709946.jpg

Looks pretty much OK to me, 2nd picture he's just looking kinda upwards.

Some info/context: I found him in my mom's garden (we're in TX) in November just before the temps started falling. We guess escapee or someone set him loose when they didn't want him anymore. He's about 13-14 inches long, and herp vets and my herp professor from university think he's probably between 9 months to 1 year, but they say it's hard to tell because we don't know where he came from or what his living conditions were like that could influence his size. <<< he's lucky you rescued him , he would NOT have survived your winter. Even if he brumated , beardies do not have antifreeze in their blood and cells so the first lot of icey conditions would have make him an iceblock and he would have died.

Also if he's under 12 months , I'd play it safe and make the assumption that he's not had to fend for himself long, it's strongly advised that he be kept warm and the day cycle long (about 14-16 hr per day lights and heat on) to prevent him from thinking it's winter and stop him from brumating.

Tank info:
-20 gal (I know I need to upgrade soon; it was an impulse buy because I had just caught him and needed somewhere to put him)
-100W daytime basking bulb, 100W moonlight basking bulb for at night. <<< replace the 100W moonlight coloured bulb with a 100W CHE which emits NO LIGHT. I suspect this might be part the problem - ie he can't sleep properly under it.
-10.0 UVB, recently switched over from the 5.0 that came with his tank when I was told the 5 was more for the babies. <<< who ever told you that is telling you BS, beardies of all ages require at 10% UVB. He maybe VitD deficient (might also be contributing) if he's only recently been upgrade to a 10% UVB. Up his daycycle to 16hrs per day LIGHTS ON, so he has lots of time to soak up UVB, and make sure he's getting plenty of dietary calcium.
-Temps are normally between 95-105 on the warm side <<<< how are you measuring these temps ?
where is the temperature taken ? ie do mean the basking spot temp is 95-105oF (that's OK) or the WARM zone is running 95-105oF (that's NOT OK) and 78-84 on the cool side.

I don't really suspect dehydration because he's bathed regularly <<< bathing regularly unless the beardie actually enjoys the baths and drinks while in the bath are NOT NECESSARY.
and gets a good amount of greens, and his urates/stools are a normal consistency, but the one thread with the comment about kidney problems worries me :(

Keeann

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply!

Temps are measured with the stick-on, but in doing some research those are apparently really inaccurate. Until I get something more accurate, the most I can tell you about temps is that there IS a gradient, he spends most of his time on the warm side, and he's never acted uncomfortable in the tank. Especially none of the lethargic behavior or the droopy eyes.

I will work on getting him a CHE.

He doesn't particularly like baths, but he is shedding most of his body right now, so the regular bathing is mainly to help loosen that up.

I'm still really worried about his eyes! I've read some eye bulging threads and it seems that their eyes usually bulge for a few seconds at a time, but his seem to be perpetually swollen. When his eyes are open his lower lids still look droopy, but he acts like he doesn't want to keep his eyes open at all. Here are pics from today:
89624-3057839684.jpg
89624-7123209242.jpg

I'm really worried! He just seems so miserable and it came on suddenly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom