Tip of Tail Black!? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermill1126

90085-404890543.jpg
90085-5081475028.jpg
90085-2720463267.jpg

Hi there! I am brand new here and brand new to the beardie world. We just adopted a beardie from someone who said she didn't have time for him at all. We picked him up and he was in a sand covered aquarium with no ventilation at all. He didn't have a UVB light and the temps weren't right. The humidity was extremely high in there. She advised me she didn't feed him greens, only crickets. She also didn't do calcium at all either. So needless to say, we took him home and I'm determined to make sure he has the best life possible.

His current state: He is eating great. Taking greens by hand and eating super worms. He's eating like a champ. He seems stressed and paces in front of the glass. He tries to attack himself so I covered halfway up the front of the glass. The three other sides are covered fully. He rubs his nose on the substrate. He's been sleeping an awful lot, but that just may be his personality. I just haven't had him long enough to know him and what he does and doesn't do yet. He did poop last night, looked normal, from what I know about that lol Edited to add that I have noticed a lot of limb twitching as he is basking.

I am a worrier by nature, so I am writing this to see if I'm just overly worried or there is true cause for concern. The nearest herp vet is hours away, so I don't want to drive all the way out and stress him out if it's nothing.

I noticed when we saw him at her house that on the tip of his tail it is darker and it is curved. It's hard when you touch it. Almost like it's burnt? Could this be tail rot or maybe issues with shedding? She said he shed about 3-4 weeks prior. I've attached (i hope lol) some pictures of his tail.

Any and all information would just be great. I have researched and researched but when I found this site, I figured I would ask the people who know best! Can someone help me out and see if there is any cause for concern? Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just a quick reply....the tail looks like it had a tiny area of trauma that healed. I've had beardies with a tail tip just like that. I think she'll be fine. :)

A few things to point out though , if you have a red bulb, change it for a white basking bulb.

There are others who may chime in as well, but it's good to list your exact type + brand of bulbs your'e using. Sounds like she's doing better in your care already. :)

Jermill1126

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply. You have eased my mind so much. I can't help but worry over everything. I just want a happy little Beardie.

I actually have switched that light out! Thank you for letting me know though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom