Can they Brumate TWICE a year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
I have two beardies ages 2 and 3. Both brumate at the end of September until beginning of January. Last month, my2 year old began hiding and sleeping...AGAIN!! Her food consumption cut back as well as her bowel
Movements. Concerned, I took her in for a vet visit. All was well with blood work, and fecal although ultra souls revealed eggs in her ovaries. Now a month later, she is STILL hiding and napping. Now my 3 year old is also sleeping! She is out as she goes into a deep sleep during this time. Is this normal? Can this happen? Very concerned.

Basking spot 96-98 as they both like this. UV is T5 and was replaced about 6 months ago. They should be good for a year...I read.....if anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is very frustrating, indeed. Since their brumation is somewhat short, it is possible that they could slow down twice. It isn't out of the realm of possibilities, but usually they tend to brumate all at the same time.
Your girl that has eggs, how far along in development, several weeks? Sometimes that can cause them to slow down a bit as it is stressful on the body. However, since she is developing eggs she definitely needs extra calcium to help out too so she doesn't develop metabolic bone disease.
Are they both females & are they housed alone or together?
You are correct, the T5 should be good for at least year, probably longer. Which brand, the Reptisun or Arcadia?
Are they maintaining their weight?

Tracie

PhotoBug

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your reply Tracie.

Fiona is the one developing eggs. The vet said about a month ago they were very small and I didn't ask how far into development they were. He did give me liquid calcium for 10 days as her blood work showed low calcium levels.

They are both females and are housed separately. The T5 I use is the reptisun. They are both maintaining weight. Fiona for sure as she has always been a big girl. Izzy may have dropped a bit during her last brumation so now I'm concerned about her. She was super active after she woke up in Janaury but had a great appetite. I've woke her and taken her outside. She perks up and basks for that day then the next day hides and sleeps again. Both aren't eating. Sooooo frustrating and I'm still concerned.

KeenanJohnson

My bearded dragon is doing the exact same thing. She just brumated in the winter and now she's acting lethargic and not eating. If I take her out and move her around she seems to become alert again for a little bit, but then she just goes back to sleep.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What are the light levels like in the house (room) where they are ?

I find on very dull days, my mob are like me = lazy and cant be bothered get up til late.

KeenanJohnson

The light levels are pretty good in my room, especially in the afternoon. I'm in the middle of the summer where I live so I get plenty of sunlight, and even in the winter the lights in their cages are pretty bright.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Keena, can you start your own thread so people don't get you mixed up with the o.p ? Then they can help you to fine tune anything that might possibly need correcting and address the replies to you + your dragon. The O.P had posted this original thread almost a year ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom