Fatty liver disease treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

makaveli

Hi all

Apologies for the long post,
I found out 6 months ago that marv was actually marvina, she became egg bound and had to have surgery to remove the eggs and was spayed at the same time, she seemed to pick up after a few weeks but it didn't last long.The vet thought they may have left a follicle or two inside her so she was opened up again, it wasn't an egg type issue but she was flushed out as the vet said there was some yellow jellyish like substance inside her, the vet also noticed that she had fatty liver disease.

She has been on samylin (milk thistle powder) 100mg every other day sprinkled in to her baby food along with metacam 0.2ml meant to be every day but have been giving it every other day instead.

I had read in another thread that lactulose can be used to treat fatty liver disease, phoned my vet and she has written me a prescription to pick up, has anyone used this for fatty liver before and if so can you recommend how much, how often, best way to use it?

I remember reading in another thread about lactulose for fatty liver Tracie saying "if it is used properly" does anybody know what she means by this?

Thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

I got your PM & will get back with you today.
How is your girl doing today, is her appetite doing well?
I am sorry she has fatty liver, but you can successfully treat her & get her back to optimal health. The liver is regenerative so it can rebuild & become healthy again with proper care.

Tracie

makaveli

Original Poster
Hi Tracie,

Thanks for getting back to me, since the last operation about 3 months ago she has been up and down, a few good days, happy and active then a one or two miserable days, sitting in the same spot all day, not wanting to do much.
She hasn't ever really been off her food which is strange as that's meant to be a main sign of fatty liver disease, but the vet confirmed it visually during the operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom