Bent Spine!!! ****HELP****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cayenne

Ok so about 2 or 3 months ago my beardie Cayenne was brought to the vet and treated for MBD! She was kept for three nights and got all the supplement injections and i brought her home and started the recovery. Her back legs didnt move at all and she didnt eat for the first 3 weeks. I was so worried for her. Out of no where she started inhaling crickets and meal worms like they were going out of stlye. About a month ago her back legs stated moving but she puts no weight on them. When you pick her up if you dont support her back legs she kicks kicks kicks them which is awesome but still drags them behind her when she moves about the tank. So i was pretty pleased that the recovery is moving in the right direction. The only thing i found odd was the bump in between her back legs never went away. They told me this was a symptom of the disiease. Well for the past week i have noticed more and more each day her spin in bending. It almost looks like thats that way its comfortable for her to sit. if i hold her and straighten her out it stays and she appears to be in no pain but when i put her back in her cage and she starts moving the bend comes right back. i have pushed on the bump and straightened her out and like i sais zero appearance of pain. Her appetite is better then ever like 3 dozen crickets a day. She goes to the bathroom now about every 3 days. Before when she came home from the vet it took her almost 2 weeks to have a BM. It was very loose and runny but now its nice and whole again. So i asked a girlfriend who takes care of lots of reptiles (she is actually who i got cayenne from) and she says its a symptom of the MBD! I called the vet and am waiting for a call back! I have been doing some research and figured id open it up to you guys....... So what could this be?? Has anyone seen this?? Ill try top post some pics but it looks so terrible!!! I dont understand cuz im trying so hard and nothing is going right. She has proper uvb lighting and is gettind plenty of calcium. Powder on the crickets spray on everthing else and a calcium syrup that the vet gave me and told me to use till it was gone. I feel so bad cuz im trying so hard!! Any help would be super appreciated!!!

Cayenne

Original Poster
Is this indeed the MBD or is it an impaction which would explain why she eats 3 dozen crickets a day and does not have a bm for days. Her bms also smell which they did not before this whole MBD thing started.

Cayenne

Original Poster
Here is a picture.

downsized_10140917591.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
Get her back to the vet and have her blood calcium level checked, looks to me that her MBD is getting worse.

Cayenne

Original Poster
not doubting your response but how can it get worse?? She is getting so much calcium and plent of UVB!! Im so confused..... Do you think its an emergency thing or should i wait for an appointment? I took her to the ER last time.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't know why it would be getting worse but a bent spine is generally caused from MBD. I don't think you need to go to the ER but I would try to get in within a week or so.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Lance, there was something on here about some beardies not absorbing calcium right. I know Spinach can be a reason, but do you recall the others? Just wondering if something else could be goin on since the beardie seems to be getting lots of calcium...

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I'm not an expert in this area, but I have read that some beardies, for some reason, can't absorb the powdered calcium and need the liquid calcium. The other greens that tend to bind calcium absorbtion is kale, I believe and, as mentioned, spinach.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yes that is correct! You could get the liquid calcium in the mean time!! I tried finding the link but no luck, im sure someone will find it! :banghead: broccoli is another one!!

poor little dude,
can not add much to what has already been said, but i hope you sort it soon and my thought's are with you
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom