My Powersun 100w UVB experiment (beardie with eye issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Hello all,
My Beardie is having eye problems and I have a sneaky hunch its due to her Powersun UVB 100w bulb. Note that I bought the bulb when I bought her so I have not used any bulbs prior, although when I bought her, her eyes were bright, open and alert. I have been contacting Jeff, who I bought her from and he is sure she has never had eye problems (and he is very curious about this Powersun defunct).

Here is a complete (as I can make it) recollection of everything I have noticed:

I bought the bulb from lllreptile here is a link to the bulb on their site:
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/zoo-med-100-watt-powersun-uvb-heat-bulbs/
I hooked it up, turned it on and everything went without a hitch (I tested all my stuff out the day before I went in to buy Scorch to make sure temps were correct).

In her initial setup, I had used a pine log propped against a rock as a basking spot. This allowed her to get within 6 inches of the bulb (my mistake, I know). Well since I found out pine (plus bark) is very bad for her health as well as the distance from the bulb, I have removed the log and now have a Habba hut under the light as her bask.

Well everything went honkey-dorey until Thursday (the 17th) when I noticed she would close her right eye sometimes, and just that eye. She would not close the left one even to wink. I didn't think too much of it, and was told simply to watch after it to see if it got worse.
Yesterday (Friday) she was at it again, closing her right eye except for longer. Like for maybe 10 seconds at a time then she would open it back up again and keep it open for a while.
Today (Saturday) she will practically not open her right eye at all. Only if I hold her up to my face with that eye facing toward me would she open it to peek at me. She will not keep it open for more than 5 seconds.

And even worse, her left eye is starting to do it too. She will now sit there with both eyes closed. Although the left she can keep open for more than 5 seconds.
I bought some saline solution eyedrops at walmart today and applied them to her right eye several times, they did not seem to help at all.

She is in shed right now, little bits and pieces have fallen off of her (right now her arm shed is starting to peel off and shes rubbing it everywhere.. poor baby). I heard that Beardies eyes will act differently due to shedding around the face, but I'm not sure I have heard of them not opening at all.

Also as a note, I do not use sand. I use newspaper substrate and I make sure her tank is clean everyday of debris (like from her habba hut... it seems to shed bark and stuff).

I have called a few people and every one has suggested there might be debris in her eye... the only possible debris she might have in there is from the Habba Hut but I'm pretty sure she isn't rolling around on or near it or anything of that sort. She may have tried rubbing her face on it, but again I have not seen her rubbing against anything except the towel in the bath this morning. And she just started her shed today.

I'm sure someone will ask if I have sent in a fecal (although maybe not... since I'm not sure how parasites could affect her eye health) and no I have not yet sent one in, although as soon as I get the funds (36 bucks) I'm doing it right away.

And one more thing, I have inspected both of her eyes (when she will open her right one) and they both look free of debris, although a little puffy and irritated (just her right eye, the left one looks normal as can be except shes closing it).

So I have no other hunch except that it is the Powersun causing it, since I have heard of the very recent problems people have had with it.

AH and one more note... the one thing that makes me almost POSITIVE it is the light... when I first had her using that pine log, the only position I saw her basking in was with her right eye toward the light (within 5-6 inches of it). And since it is her RIGHT eye which is bothering her the most... I am totally inclined to believe the light is the problem.

End of Recollection.

So I'm calling this an experiment because I have switched the Powersun out to a normal 100w/130v household light bulb which emits no UV rays. I am going to moniter her (hopefully) improvement... or (less hopefully) deterioration. I will be on the market for a new mercury vapor bulb this week. I'm thinking T-rex or Mega Ray although the latter is a little hard to get a hold of.

If anyone has a hunch that it is not the bulb causing her eye problems, please let me know. I would love to hear anyone's input.

As a note, I had a little trouble getting her to open her eye or blink when I dropped in the saline solution (she only opened it once to let the solution leak in). If any one has a method for me to try to get her eye open so the saline will be able to have greater effect, again please let me know.

Thanks everyone, whoever read this post. I'm quite upset that she is having eye problems. And even if the problem is not the bulb, I just want to see her getting better. But if it is, I hope I can help be a part of the solution to this Powersun problem so no Beardies will be harmed by it in the future.

If you would like to contact me, my email is [email protected]. Or a PM would be fine.

EDIT: as a very last note, I would like to add that her feeding has not slowed noticeably since the bulb issue. She has had relocation stress so was eating sparing anyway, although she ate 11 crickets this morning (as opposed to her usual 2-5). So the eating was not an issue at all. Hopefully the lack of painful UVB will help increase her appetite.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
UPDATE:

I have seen an almost IMMEDIATE improvement in her behavior. 3 hours ago she was sitting on her bask log, barely moving and with her eyes completely shut.

Now she is scurrying about, licking everything and being a spaz. I've noticed her left eye is open a little more... so hopefully I have started the healing process on that eye. Hopefully the right one will improve soon too.

YAY I'm SO relieved that she is picking back up. I was so worried... and still sort of am!

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Some pictures I took today of her eyes...

09-19-09069.jpg

Does her eye look kind of puffy? It does I think :\ The left one has seemed droopy and less perky.

09-19-09076.jpg

Left eye closed.

09-19-09077.jpg

Right eye closed (Now impossible to catch her with it open. Poor girl :\)

09-19-09078.jpg

Sitting there with her eyes closed :(

Man I really hope she recovers from this... I'm getting increasingly worried :\ *cry*
My first pet and immediate health problems :\ I really hope I don't come home one day and... *shudder*

Poor poor scorchie!!!!! T______________T

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
I am willing to bet that the bulb is causing your problems! Yes just leave it off until you get another bulb! That way your beardies eyes get a rest! Your beardie will be fine for a week without it! If you can get em in some natural sunlight. And I use the Mega ray and they are awesome!! Good luck!!! Also there is a write up on the powersun bulbs!!

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you!
Yea I have been doing as much research on the subject as possible. I really like all the good things i've heard about the mega ray :)
I am lucky enough to have a balcony I can take her on and sit with her under the sun. I think I might try that today. Hopefully she does well.
She hasn't moved and barely opened her eyes since I woke her this morning. I moved her under her bask so maybe she'll warm up and move around so I can feed her XD

Thank you for your input :D

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I bet it is the Powersun. I purchased a 100 watt Powersun for Semi and within a week or so he started keeping his eyes closed. I thought it strange since Semi has never had eye issues. He even kept them closed outside the tank. After a couple of weeks, I switched the light out for a MegaRay EB light and within a week he never closed his eyes. I blame the Powersun and tossed it in the garbage. I have not used a Powersun before this and refuse to buy one again.

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Wow good thing you found out it was the light before it caused more damage!
Mine only had hers for two days when her eye started closing. It sounds like Semi healed fast! Have his eyes reacted to the new Mega Ray at all? And I'm curious how far from the bask spot you have it placed. Just for future reference :)

I emailed LLLreptile about the issue and they said "the benefits far more heavily outweigh the drawbacks" and said they won't stop selling the bulb and I'm guessing they wont put any kind of warning up.
They said her eyes got hurt because I mounted the light too close to her bask but the thing is... only her right eye was exposed to it when it was that close... just cause of the position she would sit in on the pine log. The only time her left eye was aimed at it was when she was in the middle or cool side cooling off.
And her left eye still got irritated even after I mounted the light twice as far away. It just started closing a day or so after the right started.

I wonder if I will get my money back. Lol ZooMed will probably tell me that same thing. But I can tell you I'm never EVER using that bulb again or any kind of Powersun Bulb.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow sorry about the Powersun 100 watt. Obviously you got hold of the newer model, the box with the red dragon on the front, right?
Yes, it is most likely the light. I have heard from several people that Zoomed has not been cooperative regarding refunds, etc. I think that it totally inappropriate of them & very unprofessional.
Would you be willing to send that Powersun to Frances for me? The thread I initially started on it is locked, but I can get you the information on how to contact Frances if you would like to help out with the data compilation on the light. Thanks!
I am sorry that happened to your girl. As suggested, I would leave only a basking light on right now, with NO UVB for a week or two in order to allow time for her eyes to heal up.

Tracie

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I would LOVE to send the defective bulb to her. Well, that is unless ZooMed wants it to give me my money back. I need the money really bad :\
Yea I am going to get a T-Rex bulb and try that (obviously using it at the correct distance). Hopefully that wont hurt her eyes.
I will keep all UVB off until both her eyes are open and alert again. I'm hoping this won't affect her eating/pooping at all!

murt923

i have no knowledge as to your problem but i wanted to let you know that u are not alone in the eye problems my beardie Papi is kinda having the same problem only with the reptiglo 10.0 uvb and i feel your pain

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Poor Papi... I really hope his eyes get better quickly. The Repti-sun bulb should be a lot better the -glo.
Scorch's eyes are open alot more today... so hopefully Papi will recover in a couple of days too! Looks like we both caught the problem fairly early on.

I'm glad there's a place like BD.org to connect with other beardie lovers/owners. I don't know what I would've done if I couldn't get on here and ask for quick advice!

murt923

i agree man this site has been nothin but helpful and everyone here is just fantastic and hopefully Papi and Scorch will get better soon in time

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, today has been interesting.
Scorch hasn't eaten anything since yesterday morning and she has been black bearded (as much as she can) and very dark stress marks almost all day today. Maybe it is because she is hungry? She just doesn't seem to have the energy to chase crickets around.. although she did eat a grape from my hand.
I've been monitoring her temps all day. I think the highest it got was 111... and I'm trying to keep them 100-105. Thinking maybe thats a stress factor...
I really hope she eats tonight. If not, I'm buying some (not meal)worms or roaches from jeff tomorrow. See if she will eat SOMETHING! And baby food if she doesn't eat the live feeders.
Good news though, her eyes have been opening up alot more today! Her right eye seems to bug her alot less. But she still closes them alot.
Also, I ordered a t-rex MVB today from petmountain. I dont think it has shipped yet though and I'm getting worried that she might be lacking too much UVB... I hope they ship it out SOON! And then it'll be here in about 3 days.
So that's the update. I'll be crossing my fingers that she eats tonight!

Thanks everyone for your support. I couldn't have made it without you all :p

murt923

well thats good news for you at least and i hope Papi improves cause from what i can tell since he barely moves a muscle...he is in really bad shape well my fingers are crossed for both Scorch and Papi and i will keep you updated aswell

riceko

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Aww poor little guy :\ I'm sure he'll pull through. Especially with the vet visit. Cant wait to hear what your vet says :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom