Help~Why did this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
My beardie is three and a half years old (approximately) and seems healthy. Nothing is really out of the ordinary for her, she has always been slightly lazy, but she's alert and active out of her tank. Although, she has been falling asleep an hour or so before her regular lights out (after 10 hours of day light) and has been hiding under things in her tank almost every afternoon.
About 10 minutes ago I gave her some water from a spray bottle and she drank for quite a while. Afterwards, a few seconds after I stopped giving her water, her beard got really big like she was puffing (this happened once before after I gave her something to drink but she looked like she was swallowing and the beard went away). This time however the beard didn't go away quickly and she didn't look like she was swallowing so I lightly touched her beard and it was hard, like it was full of something. I gently parted her lips and water dribbled out. I picked her up and held her head so it was slightly lower than the rest of her body and opened her mouth. More water came gushing out. I did it again and even more water came out (it was thick like saliva). In total I'd say in all there was probably around a tbsp of liquid.
Why did this happen? Is there anything I should do? Should I give her more water because I don't know if she actually absorbed anything?
She is in my lap just sitting contently right now.
I'm really worried and don't know what happened :?
Thanks in advance for any help :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think sometimes they just take in more than they can swallow. Next time just give her a certain amount, then stroke her throat to help it down , then offer more. Silly thing....but good that you tipped her over like a teapot to drain her out. :)

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, I will definitely try that next time. Thank you so much :D I was really worried. Sometimes I think she binges on water. I offer it everyday, but if she's being fussy she turns her nose up at it and will run away. Then after a few days she'll take a lick and then won't stop! I'll make sure to control the amount I give her.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) Just be sure to keep her in the tank after an event like that to keep extra warm. That will help her immune system in case a respiratory infection would happen to pop up. And be sure to offer water early enough in the day because it can chill them to have a big drink if they don't have a couple of good hours in the heat after a drink.

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, I didn't know that. Thank you for all your help :) I appreciate it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They are notorious for drinking too much water at times, then swelling their beards up. :shock:
I am glad she is alright!
Definitely keep her a little warmer overnight though just to help out in case she did aspirate any.

Tracie

KRayne

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I kept her tank as warm as I could last night and let her warm up for a couple hours before she went to bed. Thank you both for taking the time to help and give me advice :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) An overnight temp. of 78 -82 is fine, not too hot because that can cause respiratory distress as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom