now i'm panicking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Found out the uvb set up i'm using isn't the best, and poor sheldon isn't getting enough UVB....we've had this basic set up since he was little and i just found this board recently :(, we do take him outside alot, but i'm worried about MBD!!
I'm switching his stuff out soon as i find out what uvb fixture i need, right now i'm using with a reptisun 5.0 bulb.
is he getting any UVB at all? :(, i take him outside frequently but i'm really worried now! i'm going to get the proper fixture today after work i just dont know what to get yet, can anyone help? thanks!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....if you've been taking him outside in the sun regularly then he would get proper amounts of UVB. As a matter of fact, any dragon that has an outdoor cage and spends 1-2 hours daily would not even need a uvb bulb for the entire summer [ or if living in a warm state/country where they could be out year long , no bulb at all] Of course you would still need a bright heat bulb.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
he doesn't have an outdoor cage i just sit with him in the yard, but it isn't every day. I'm going to get something better as far as uvb today, i just feel bad! i'd say he gets 1/2 hour - 1 hour a few days a week outside. I'm waiting for his leash to come lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's still a decent amount of uvb and should have helped him to a degree, although you'd still want the proper lights. Does he seem to be having any health problems ? If you continue to use the Zilla fixture with a new bulb, be sure there is no plastic shield on it covering the light.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i'm transitioning him into a bigger tank so i'll be getting better fixtures, just trying to figure out what i need for a 75 gallon which is 48" wide.
He doesn't seem to have any health issues, he's eating, going to the bathroom, etc. doesn't really like to sit in his basking spot much i think it was too hot so i moved it down and lays around a bit. Out of the tank he's more active and attentive though. I just bought a new reptisun 5.0 bulb but i was told that isn't enough uvb either, so i'll be taking it back and exchanging it for something that will work with my 75 gallon tank to give him the best lighting.
I hope i haven't done any permanent damage, i'm so glad i found this site!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You might go with a Powersun 160 MVB [ mercury vapor bulb ] for which you could use a large aluminum dome fixture from Lowe's , Home Depot, Agway [ they are sold for baby chick heat lamps ] just be sure they are rated to handle 200 watts. Then you could but just one of the Reptisun fixtures to fit a T5 bulb. Then he'll get plenty of heat and UVB. Just position the 160 so it doesn't burn the screen if you use screen. The hard metal mesh shouldn't burn though.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
making sure i get this right then - the powersun 160 is is for basking ?

The tank is 48" wide, should i get a double flourescent fixture put a uvb in one side and a regular light in the other?

This is all very confusing, sorry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Powersun 160 is UVB as well as basking heat and is made by the same company that makes the Reptisun 10.0 t5 bulb....but the Powersun it does what 2 bulbs would do. But in such a large tank you could also use a 24" Reptisun 10.0 t5, that gives additional uvb for the rest of the tank. If you Google Powersun 160 you can read about it. It provides lots of heat as WELL as uva/uvb.

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
if i go with a reptisun 10.0 t5 on one side of a 2 light fixture, what would you put on the other side?

jgodman1011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i'm not sure they will have the same type of fixture, i can't use the one that came with the 75 gallon tank, it's a t12 fixture. I will see about getting something tonight, i dont want him in the other tank since the lighting isn't right :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
jgodman1011":20av2jeu said:
making sure i get this right then - the powersun 160 is is for basking ?

The tank is 48" wide, should i get a double flourescent fixture put a uvb in one side and a regular light in the other?d
This is all very confusing, sorry.

The POWERSUN 160W supplies bright white light + heat + more than adequate UVA and UVB in the range 14" - 30" from the front surface of the globe. Not sure how wide the effective UVA UVB "beam" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom