parasites

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpieandstuff

Hatchling Member
So recently Reptar went to the vet because the bacteria in his gut had diminished. On his return visit the vet found parasites, after doing a fecal exam. The vet said that the parasites are probably what caused the bacteria problem in the first place, and he didn't find them in the first fecal exam because they had not laid eggs yet. I am almost 100% positive that Reptar got the parasites from the crickets at our local pet store. I have a friend who also buys crickets there and four days ago she found out her Chinese water dragon has parasites. (Reptar and the water dragon have never come in contact with each other).

I came here to find out if there is something else that might have caused the parasites. This might be a stupid question, but is it possible a probiotic could have caused them? To treat Reptar's bacteria problem, the vet put him on Florentero (probiotic for dogs/cats). After getting some advice on here, I switched him to Bene-Bac Plus (probiotic for birds/reptiles). Reptar is on Baytril for the parasites but he is also still taking the Bene-Bac [I don't want to lose the progress we have made with the gut flora]. Is it possible either of the probiotics could give him parasites?

He has not been outside yet this year, I clean his tank three times a week, and his tank setup is accurate. I do not know how else he might have got the parasites.

Also, does anyone know any good places to order feeders from? In the past I have used lllreptiles. The last week or so Reptar has been eating collard greens, squash, bok choy, and sweet peppers but I would like to get some insects back into his diet as soon as possible.

Thanks and sorry this post was so long.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think the probiotics would cause parasitic infection. This is likely from a contaminated food source as you said. The bene-bac is a good choice for probiotic and I would keep offering that along with the Baytril. LLL is a well regarded supplier. I've personally had good luck with crickets from Premiumcrickets. There are other good sources out there.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
That's odd!! Baytril is an antibiotic... Not a wormer medicine. Did he say what type of parasites he has?

magpieandstuff

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No, he never said :| Honestly I have been starting to lose faith in my vet. He keeps prescribing meds that are for dogs/cats when there are reptile alternatives. Unfortunately he is the only vet in my town that will look at reptiles.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Sometimes you have to broaden your search area to find a good reptile vet. I drive two hours to my vet...one way. I would be happy to do a fecal test for you and see what type of parasites your dragon has so that you can get the correct meds. There are several trusted sites where the meds can be purchased. fastfecalsbykelly.com I also have a Facebook page so that you could check out things so you could be more comfortable using my service. You still need to find a good reptile vet though. I would be happy to help find one in your area if you would like. Just let me know

SDragon

Juvie Member
I'd definitely contact him and ask which parasite he is treating for and why Baytril. There may be a genuine reason, but It is an unusual choice. It will also be somewhat tough on his already depleted gut flora.

Again, he might have had a good reason for choosing the other probiotic, but it would be reasonable to enquire. I'd keep the bene bac going unless he has a convincing reason to switch to his inital prescription. I can't see either being the cause of parasites.

How are you hydrating your lizard and what are you temp ranges (and how is that measured)?

magpieandstuff

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I give Reptar a 20 minute bath 3 times a week. I also offer him water through a oral syringe a couple times a day. His basking site is usually stays about 109 F. The cool end of his tank is about 80 F. To measure the temps I have a point and shoot heat gun. I believe it was suggested in the Newbies Guide on what to buy.

SDragon

Juvie Member
Great that you are giving water daily and the temps and method of measuring are pretty much spot on. No real need for the baths if he's drinking daily, but if they don't stress him, it wont do him harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom