Bearded dragon possible Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KodyPrice

Recently my bearded dragon has been sleeping in her cave on the cold side of her tank she stays in most of the day and not coming out, I heard that it may be brumation but its transitioning over to spring not winter so idk what is happening please help! Shes about 5 months old.

Also over the past couple weeks shes been tearing up the paper towel to make it more fluffy inside the cave.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has she been losing any weight while she's sleeping in the cave? Can you run through what your enclosure temps are and what you're using for UVB? Improper heat or lighting could be causing lethargic behavior.

KodyPrice

Original Poster
She came out of it today after sleeping for 3 days and has been eating fine, she hasn't been losing weight. Her temps on the warm side are around 75-80 degrees F. I'm using one of those mercury lights that cost like 80$ at pet smart, I forget the brand name.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear she is more active and her appetite is back. It's good she hasn't lost weight. My guess is that your mercury vapor bulb is a PowerSun or similar which is fine. You'll want the basking spot to be out around 100 with some 90s around it and the cool side to be 75-85 in general to provide a nice gradient to allow her to self regulate temps. It's good to have an accurate digital thermometer or a temp gun to get good readings of the basking surfaces and adjust the lights accordingly. If you're getting 80 in the basking spot and have accurate readings, you may need to add an additional small basking lamp or ceramic heat emitter to boost the temps a little bit on the basking area.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great sign she has not lost any weight. You can monitor weight loss to determine if you should get a fecal done or not, as worms/parasites can cause weight loss during brumation, etc.
Are you using a 100 or 160 watt MVB? How far away from her is it?

It sounds like she is doing better now, is she eating anything?

Tracie

KodyPrice

Original Poster
She is doing fine she has been eating fine, I will be buying a accurate temp gun this weekend and a small extra heat bulb. Can a normal 60 Watt laying around the house work? If so I will be using that to boost temps. Thanks for all the replys. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom