Beardie loving her new home... Is it wise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splreece

Hey all.... I have a Yr old beardie in UK... She's been fine and last vet checkup and poop came back all good...

However... Only weird thing is she loves her remote seat... As in she is spending 8 hrs on it... Maybe rhe odd wander round the house.. But 8 hrs outside of viv is surely not good...

109077-8054882525.jpg
109077-7670404305.jpg
109077-7422820129.jpg

I put her back in but she wants out...

Vivs not changed for a few months so she seemed happy in it previously.... Is this just a social comfy behaviour or is it worrying...

Her eating a bit low due to age and winter I beleive.

Her viv is 42seg basking 28 deg cool and 25-27% humidity.

DoubleD22

I am new here but it seems like your Terrarium is way to small for that size of Bearded Dragon, that might be the reason she doesn't want to be in there. From my research and a phone call recently I just had with a great pet store, the minimum size for an adult is 55 not 40. So I would think about a bigger enclosure.

Splreece

Original Poster
DoubleD22":1hvblmes said:
I am new here but it seems like your Terrarium is way to small for that size of Bearded Dragon, that might be the reason she doesn't want to be in there. From my research and a phone call recently I just had with a great pet store, the minimum size for an adult is 55 not 40. So I would think about a bigger enclosure.
Thanks for the reply.. Oh its an xl viv.. 155cm

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guy loves to free roam too. He pretty much only sleeps in his enclosure. As long as you have areas they can get into that you can't reach and keep the floors cleaned of bits they can ingest, it should be fine. It's good to isolate any other animals you have in the house too. I only have 1 dragon so it works well. I have 3 lights set up. At the moment they are all mercury vapor bulbs to provide some UVB, but sometimes I set one up with just a halogen bulb from heat and he likes it. I've been doing this for many years and I find it to be good enrichment.

Splreece

Original Poster
CooperDragon":royog1ff said:
My guy loves to free roam too. He pretty much only sleeps in his enclosure. As long as you have areas they can get into that you can't reach and keep the floors cleaned of bits they can ingest, it should be fine. It's good to isolate any other animals you have in the house too. I only have 1 dragon so it works well. I have 3 lights set up. At the moment they are all mercury vapor bulbs to provide some UVB, but sometimes I set one up with just a halogen bulb from heat and he likes it. I've been doing this for many years and I find it to be good enrichment.

Cool... Thanks very much..... Yeah she seems perfectly happy chilling watching the box or just staring at me working from home and she's healthy so am thinking why not eh... The other pets are fish so luckily nothing to worry about there... The only worry is the infamous bum. Wiggle before the inevitable release.. Just have to make sure that's done before she's out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've built a routine to bring Darwin to the sunroom (with a linoleum floor) while I prep breakfast every morning, He sits under his lamp and stays in the sunroom until he goes, then I let him roam the rest of the house. Very easy cleanup that way and he has learned through routine that is how he gets to roam the rest of the house. It's not 100% but it's a pretty good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom