Constant Glass Surfing, Good Enrichment Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my girl Mimsy just woke up from a super long (almost 9 month!) brumation. She's 2 years old now, and I've triple-checked that all of her husbandry is correct. She's in a 4x2x2 foot custom made wooden enclosure with acrylic sliding doors. She has 2 large platforms built into the back corners to give her some extra space to climb and move around, the top one being her basking area. Both platforms have tile on them for easy feeding and cleaning, while the bottom of the enclosure has a loose substrate (terra sahara from the biodude) to encourage her to dig if she pleases. I leave a layer of dust from the substrate on the inside of the acrylic doors to make extra sure she can't see her reflection, as she has had problems with glass in the past. She gets fed her "salad" every day (mostly collard greens with whatever ok veggies and occasionally fruits I have on hand), with protein every other day or so. Usually I give her live feeder insects but I am unable to get any right now so I have another soft diet I'm giving her in the meantime, which she surprisingly loves a lot. She also gets a warm bath about once a week. Her enclosure is in my bedroom as we live in a house with cats (both are known mouse killers) and roommates, so I can't leave her unsupervised. I'm home all day in the room with her as I am not working right now.

The problem is, since she has woken up, she is constantly running around, surfing, and scratching on all surfaces in her enclosure. The sound of her nails scratching on the acrylic is horrendous, and she keeps jumping into the doors and I'm worried that she is going to hurt herself. I let her out to run around the bedroom at least once a day, much more frequently than that though since she's started doing this. She constantly wants out though, and if I let her do that, she won't get enough UV or enough basking time to digest her food. She also poops regularly and I have to scramble to clean it up right away or she'll run around in it and get it all over the place. She is just as energetic before and after the poops. She calms down considerably in the evening and will bask for a few hours at around 7-8pm, but other than that she's just running around like a crazy lady all day. The only thing I can think of is that she is bored. :help:

I've tried adding live plants in the past, but she is a force of destruction and destroyed every one of them within a week. For that same reason I don't think it's a good idea to put fake plants in there, I don't want her eating plastic. I've got a few sticks in there too, but she mostly just bumps into them while she's running. Has anybody else out there had similar issues to this? Are there any good enrichment items that you have found? I'd like to put some stuff in her enclosure to hopefully keep her entertained, like toys or other stimulating items, even if they seem unconventional. All of the websites I've looked at just say to enrich them by letting them out to run around, which I already do a considerable amount of. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Kitlings

What does her temperature gradient look like? Mine sometimes glass surfs if the temps are too high because she's looking for somewhere cooler. When they come out of brumation, it seems like they don't like going back to the summer-level temps right away.

For enrichment, you could try adding random objects such as new rocks, branches, etc (all pre-washed and sanitized of course) to give them new textures and sensations. Try new fruits and veggies too! I've seen some people buy cat toys for their dragons, but mine never really play with them lol.

Squiggydoo

Original Poster
She's got a super wide gradient to move around in. Her hot spot sits at around 105-107F, but her basking platform is 2 feet wide so it drops down to the mid 90s farther from the heat lamps. The coolest part of her tank is under the second platform on the other side, which sits at 65-70F. That's where she spent most of her time brumating, buried in the dirt a little. Now that she's up I rarely see her under there for long, she just passes through while doing laps around the tank. Most of her "hang out" time is spent on her basking platform.

She already gets a pretty wide variety of fruits and veggies too. I like variety for myself and I always give her a little bit of whatever I prepare for myself with her greens, as long as I know it's safe for her. She was a very picky "teen" and would only eat her greens and bugs, so I'm super excited that she wants to eat other things now that she's older like bananas, carrots, bell peppers and snap peas. I think her favorite is watermelon (or maybe it's my favorite to watch her eat because it's so juicy lol, maybe it's both).

I've ordered her a new "tube" to explore, and I've been looking into cat toys as well. I'm not sure what kinds of things I could get as far as cat toys go that would fit well in her tank setup. I'm thinking a laser pointer may be fun, but that also requires active input on my part, and the goal here is to not have to spend 6 hours entertaining her like I have to right now. Cutting it down to an hour or two would be very nice. My best guesses for "tank" toys are probably ping pong balls or crinkle balls. I'm also considering getting more substrate to put in the bottom portion of her tank so she can dig a little more. She likes really soft things as well so I've gotten a couple of cozy hides/beds for her to use on the platforms. We'll see if she likes any of the new stuff, otherwise I'm gonna have to keep on trying I guess. Maybe I'll go out and find a big rock or two somewhere for her too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom