New beardie owner in need of assistance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guysss, so I’m new to the Beardie world and so far I’m enjoying the different behavior of this creature!! I have a 4 month old bearded dragon I named her Drica. I became interested in them when I was on a social media app and came across a beautiful yellow bearded dragon with German giant diseased name Margo and completely fell in love and had to have one of my own..I purchased her from petco...I did a lot of research before purchasing and still doing some now I’m trying to get the hang of the whole lizard mom thing but I’m concerned because she’s so skiddish everytime we go to pick her up she runs way and scratches at the glass but it seems she’s just a tad bit more calm with me than she is with my boyfriend...sometimes she’ll take worms out of his hands but majority of the time she’ll run away once he puts his hand in to feed her...I’m trying to get her more comfortable with us by talking to her and petting her as well as making a little play pin on the bead and let her run around a little bit...I’m not sure what to do anymore when it comes to trying to bond with her because she just seems so frightened one time she jumped out my hands and on the curtainnn it was the craziest but the funniest thing to me! I really need some pointers on what to do when it comes to bonding with her and making her more comfortable because I don’t want her to be scared of us for forever I want to be able to cuddle with her like other owners do with their beardies. I know it takes time but how long does it usually take? Will she ever stop being so scared of us? What can I do I feel stuck..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome and its relocation stress is what shes going thru next shes a baby and totally not trusting yet so its gonna take alot of PATIENCE!! It took months for my now 9 month old to come around - keep feeding by hand - put your hands in the tank as much as you can cleaning etc.... and get her on a routine feeding etc........... get a soft piece of cloth or fleece blanket and put in her hide so she becomes used to your scent --- please go over your tank set up you said Petco ? hmmmmmmm did you buy a kit? you can post pics of the tank and lighting you have that is the most important thing in that tank -- basking temps and UVB------------ https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
click on XIMG at top of the message box then click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

BreadieLover009

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your helpful info. I post a picture it’s not the best but she has a rock and a uv light and basking light as well as a little bath in her tank. We did end up buying the kit so it’s only a 20 gal but we want to get her a 40 gal so we can put more in and give her more space.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the 20 gallon won't last long so I am assuming you got a coil UVB w/ that kit - it will not work for the 40 gallon in fact they are the worst UVB- I recommend you upgrade to a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 as soon as you can - the pic did not post- click on XIMG at top of message box then click on pic it should post
Karrie

BreadieLover009

Original Poster
She has the conjoined lights so they sit on top. The UV bulb is on the right and the heat is on the left. I did order the light that you mentioned but I just don’t know how to put it up and it is too big for her tank of course so I’ll have to wait until we upgraded to try and figure out how to set up the bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You also need to get a digital.probe thermometer from Petco or PetSmart $5-- you need actual basking temps the stick ons do not do that---- also do you have a hide for him? I can help you set the T 5 up when you get it
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom