What do Bearded Dragons do during the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm a new beardie owner, and I was wondering what do bearded dragons do during the day?

Also, am I underfeeding him? I am afraid I may be underfeeding him, as since I got him ( six days ago), he has eaten 13 mealworms and a few pieces of veggies ( yesterday, he ate four pieces of carrots. Today, he ate half a piece of apple). I fed him the mealworms in a schedule, giving him 4 on the first day, 4 on the second day, 2 on the third day, none on the fourth day, one on the fifth day and two on the sixth day. I have served him veggies as well.
He is a 2 year old male.
His poop is normal
He is still adapting to his new home, and he is beginning to shed.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Mealworms supply nutrition in quantity .4 mealworms a day is not enough IMO. 20 is more like what he needs along with a good fresh salad 2x a day. (About a cup full 2x a day) even if he doesn't eat it make it available to him to snack on.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
It is normal for dragons to have some relocation stress. Think of his point of view. His whole world that he can see and smell has changed. The humans who interact with him have changed. The first 7 days can be tough after moving, by 14 days he should be more settled and eating and acting more like his normal self.

I always suggest offering a variety of feeder insects and vegetables and fruits. Mealworms have a high phosphorus amount that binds to calcium and may not be the best for every day feedings. Depending on where you are other insects like crickets, locusts, various cockroaches, silk worms, and black soldier fly larvae (Phoenix worms) make good staple insect feeders. Mealworms, superworms, wax worms, butterworms, and hornworms are more treat foods.

I second offering a salad every day. Try different dark leafy greens, squashes, vegetables, and a small amount of fruit. Collard greens, mustard greens, alfalfa, butternut squash, bell peppers, blueberries - some examples of foods that are nutritional and most beardies like them

Edit/ I got a Wyza camera to watch my dragon during the day. It didn't cost that much and I could see her lay in the same spot almost the whole day I was gone at work. Every dragon will be different. I assume most bask and relax as long as the house is quiet

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I don't recommend mealworms as anything more than an occasional treat or bribe a bearded dragon, DEFINITELY NOT SUITABLE to be us used as staple feeder.

Better off giving silkworms , large BSFL , crickets , roaches or locusts as stable feeder insects.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I am retired and spend a LOT of each day with my lizard children.

My gang spend 3 to 4 hour per day basking (and doing as little as possible), with regular short naps under their grotto or hubbahuts and a long siesta about diner time after their feed and floor time or chair next to me.

Of course they all love to watch TV if it's on, which not very often these days because daytime tv is not worth even turning the tv on for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom