Mouth opening whenever we're nearby - new behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaldrogo

We're new beardie owners - have had our Drogo for 2 weeks now. He's a juvenile, probably 3 months ago. He's in a 40 gallon tank and with light & UV set up as per reptile shop's instructions.

We'd been getting along fine - he'd been eating crickets really well. Rarely touches his greens but we're getting there. He shed literally the day after we got him home which surprised us. We didn't want to shock him by immediately giving baths so we've just been misting him regularly and he seemed to finish within a week. We've handled daily but only short periods at a time and he seemed fine - wasn't struggling to get away at all, seemed happy to be touched/sat in our hands and frequently when we'd go to put him back in his tank he'd have no urgency to go back on his log.

Yesterday I moved his tank to a new location. Literally moved it three feet so it's not in a different room or anything. Since then he's been constantly opening and closing his mouth at us any time we're near his tank (I often just sit nearish his tank on my laptop doing some work just so he gets used to my presence without me actually interacting with him - every other time I've done this he's been ok. This is new behaviour).

The new tank location isn't anymore 'high-traffic' since it's only been moved a few feet.

I haven't touched him at all today since I've worried this mouth opening thing is a threatening thing. I put my hand in once to serve his greens and misted him. I don't want to stress him out. Not sure what to do? Is the tank move a coincidence or should I move it back? There's been no other change to his behaviour that might mean he's poorly.

khaldrogo

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":175khmn0 said:
Most likely just gaping ( to cool off ) see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=251947

It just seems really bizarre that he's suddenly started doing it, and he only does it when we're near the tank (he won't do it when I'm on the other side of the room or just walk past) but I'll check out your link thank you

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That's pretty common. A lot of times they are pretty mellow when going through their relocation stress. Once they are completely over their relocation stress and are well established in their environments, their real personality comes out lol. He feels more comfortable and confident now, but not so much with you. He still sees you as a potential threat so when you get close enough he "shows his teeth" as a warning to you to stay back.

Take my Tombo for instance. It took him nearly 3 weeks to completely get over his relocation stress. But by week 3 he was eating fully and more active. At the same time this gentle docile dragon also got very very uncomfortable with me being near him. He would puff up, gape, and when all else failed, run frantically around the tank when I'd try to grab him. Hes one of the few dragons I've had that have done that, and he has been one of the dragons I've had to work the most at to get comfortable around me. So this could be the case with yours.
Hes a bit more of a fighter than a lover, but still the trust can be built just like it was with me and Tombo.

Keep working with him and show him you're not a threat and the behavior will end. :)

-Brandon

khaldrogo

Original Poster
claudiusx":3oolidah said:
Hi there,

That's pretty common. A lot of times they are pretty mellow when going through their relocation stress. Once they are completely over their relocation stress and are well established in their environments, their real personality comes out lol. He feels more comfortable and confident now, but not so much with you. He still sees you as a potential threat so when you get close enough he "shows his teeth" as a warning to you to stay back.

Take my Tombo for instance. It took him nearly 3 weeks to completely get over his relocation stress. But by week 3 he was eating fully and more active. At the same time this gentle docile dragon also got very very uncomfortable with me being near him. He would puff up, gape, and when all else failed, run frantically around the tank when I'd try to grab him. Hes one of the few dragons I've had that have done that, and he has been one of the dragons I've had to work the most at to get comfortable around me. So this could be the case with yours.
Hes a bit more of a fighter than a lover, but still the trust can be built just like it was with me and Tombo.

Keep working with him and show him you're not a threat and the behavior will end. :)

-Brandon

Damn I was afraid of this! Do you mind if I ask what did you do to help Tombo get more comfortable around you?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Nothing different than any of my other dragons, it just took him more time than my others. And he really was only like this when I'd try to hold him. Or got close to feed him. Eventually he got to the point that he realized I was just coming to feed him. But if he thought I was trying to pick him up he'd do the same behavior again. However, once he was actually in my hands he would be better, but he'd still squirm occasionally.

Personally, I liked that about our relationship. I liked that I had to work for his trust. It makes it more meaningful to me now knowing how he acts with me currently compared to how he used to.

But, all dragons are different. They all have their own personalities just like we do. Just because my Tombo took more work than normal doesnt mean yours will. But, I will say I've seen it very often that once they settle in they get a bit more testy like that. How long they stay that way largely depends on the dragon, and on your interactions with it.

Anyways, dont despair. Keep working with him. Remember they are smart. If he learns that gaping and looking scary keeps you away from him, that's behavior he will learn to continue. Teach him that you're his buddy and wont hurt him :)

-Brandon

khaldrogo

Original Poster
claudiusx":10zco5pg said:
Nothing different than any of my other dragons, it just took him more time than my others. And he really was only like this when I'd try to hold him. Or got close to feed him. Eventually he got to the point that he realized I was just coming to feed him. But if he thought I was trying to pick him up he'd do the same behavior again. However, once he was actually in my hands he would be better, but he'd still squirm occasionally.

Personally, I liked that about our relationship. I liked that I had to work for his trust. It makes it more meaningful to me now knowing how he acts with me currently compared to how he used to.

But, all dragons are different. They all have their own personalities just like we do. Just because my Tombo took more work than normal doesnt mean yours will. But, I will say I've seen it very often that once they settle in they get a bit more testy like that. How long they stay that way largely depends on the dragon, and on your interactions with it.

Anyways, dont despair. Keep working with him. Remember they are smart. If he learns that gaping and looking scary keeps you away from him, that's behavior he will learn to continue. Teach him that you're his buddy and wont hurt him :)

-Brandon

Oh shoot I've been trying to keep my distance and only do the bare minimum since he's started doing this (now three days) as I didn't want to stress him out!

I'll try your method and just try and do things normally. Would you recommend still handling him even though he's doing this?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I would still handle him.
Hes over his relocation stress at this point so now the goal.is to get him trusting of you.

Dont be tentative about grabbing him though. If he go for him and he runs, and you start having to "chase" him around the tank, this will do the opposite of what you want. So dont let the chase happen for too long. Commit to grabbing him and just do it in a quick manner. If he frantically runs it might be best to leave be and try again later. The goal is to not chase him around the tank if you can avoid it as that really does seem to upset them.

What I like to do with untrusting dragons is wait until just before bedtime. They are usually sleepy and less active, and thus easier to handle. Bonus points of he ends up falling asleep on you. Imo this builds trust the quickest out of everything I've tried.
Good luck! :)

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom