Baby beardie climbing HIGH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torchlewis

105119-8056364515.jpg
So we just got our new baby beardie in today and he is climbing the back wall in the exo terra tank we got for him. He is just sitting right under the light we got. I realize the tanks kinda big but we thought he could grow well into it so we are keeping everything kinda scooted to one side for now.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Amazingly enough, that huge tank will feel tiny when he's an adult =). The little guys love to climb. You may find that the background starts to fall apart or bugs hide behind it using the wire channels. I wound up removing mine just to add some more space. That part is up to you. Since they do love climbing, I suggest installing some driftwood or grapevine or similar to allow him to climb around and explore. You don't want to let him get so close to the light that he will get burned though, so keep modifying the decor so that he can climb but not too close to the lighting.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where is the UVB? It seems hes trying to get to the UVB if that is a light behind the basking bulb
Karrie

Torchlewis

Original Poster
Yes! We fed him earlier and two of the crickets escaped to behind the wall:| I will see about removing and installing something else to climb on!
The bulb is a 100W PowerSun so it says it has UVA/UVB/HEAT all in one. Do those work sufficiently?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It depends on the basking temp -- sometimes they are too hard to control the basking temp --- you need to get a temp on where he sits for his basking area --- take w/ a infrared heat gun for the most accurate temp-- I dont use the all in one never have --- my UVB and basking lights are separate - so it just depends --
Karrie

Torchlewis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":5ve8anbk said:
Where is the UVB? It seems hes trying to get to the UVB if that is a light behind the basking bulb
Karrie

The bulb is a 100W UVA/UVB/HEAT PowerSun. It’s supposed to be an all in one//do those work sufficiently?

Torchlewis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":35rmc38i said:
It depends on the basking temp -- sometimes they are too hard to control the basking temp --- you need to get a temp on where he sits for his basking area --- take w/ a infrared heat gun for the most accurate temp-- I dont use the all in one never have --- my UVB and basking lights are separate - so it just depends --
Karrie
Okay thank you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The mesh tops on those tanks will intercept quite a bit of the UVB and deflect heat so I'd take that into account. With a 100w PowerSun, taking into account the mesh top, I'd say it should sit about 8'' or so above the main basking platform/area for best results. Without the mesh, 12'' is about right for those bulbs. These distances are for UVB exposure. As mentioned, you'll want to double check surface temps to make sure those are sufficient as well. The PowerSun may or may not be producing proper heat gradients at that distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom