I got chomped by my bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was trying to have my beardie get used to human presence ultimately getting it used on getting handled.

I've been avoiding aggression such as hissing and gaping mouth and only trying to handle the beardie when it's calm.

But today, even though there was no sign, it chomped me.
I did not go from above, I was going from the side so it can see me, my palms upturned, and as soon as I try to move in to pick it up gently it chomped my finger.

Beardie:
Length: 7"

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Depending on how the chomp appeared, it could mean finger was mistaken for food, or was a sign telling you not to come closer. Did the chomp draw any blood?

tetriminoss

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2tmbto0h said:
Depending on how the chomp appeared, it could mean finger was mistaken for food, or was a sign telling you not to come closer. Did the chomp draw any blood?

No blood, I drew near my hand to the side of the beardie and the beardie stared at it, aimed then chomped my finger. No blood drawn.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like maybe mistook it for a worm. Hard to say for sure though. I'm glad there was no blood drawn.

tetriminoss

Original Poster
Hopefully so that he thought I'm a worm, I've been hand feeding him silk worms so.

But thanks, I guess I'll try later when he's full.

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
tetriminoss":c5c1rhzy said:
Hopefully so that he thought I'm a worm, I've been hand feeding him silk worms so.

But thanks, I guess I'll try later when he's full.

I hand fed my girl since I got her and when she was a bit younger she would go for my fingers if I just held them up to her mouth a certain way (index and thumb touching as if I was holding a roach) though usually she would see that I had no food before she tried to take a bite. She eventually gave me a decent chomp once when I was feeding her. It drew a little blood but I've gotten much worse from one of those puncture needles that people use to test blood sugar.

She let go immediately once she realized her mistake. Then she looked up at me, ignoring the roach that was still in my fingers and dipped her head down. I don't know if she was afraid that I was angry but all it did was make me smile. Can't get mad at a face like that. Now she's a little more careful when taking roaches from my fingers. She'll lean back a bit and make sure her aim is perfect before taking it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Had you been messing with some food ( human or dragon ) and there a residual smell of food on the hand.

I've had little geckos, skinks, dragons and frogs all try to eat my fingers or open upturned hand if there is a residual smell of food on it …. especially if it's hungry at the time.

Takes a little while for them to work out the difference between finger / hand and food. Expect a few accidential bites , it comes with the territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom